Question regarding best practices.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

livinitmn

Reaction score
I have recently came across a motherload of mason jars in a cellar of an abandoned farmhouse that I was preparing for demolition. The problem is they have have 40 year old pickles and such in them. Leading me to seek out wisdom regarding the best way I can clean and restore the jars. Anybody have any wisdom they would share?

Thanks
Ken

bucky902

Reaction score
I would open them outside dump them out and but them in vinegar but maybe someone else has a better way good luck

cookie

Reaction score
A compost pile would be a good place to dump them- cover them with dirt to keep animals away. A surgical mask would be a smart choice- no telling what smells or vapors might come out. Better to be safe than sorry.

livinitmn

Reaction score
Yes, I did break one jar that was filled and whatever had been in it had turned to straight alcohol, judging by the smell. I guess I am wondering what are the chances of breakage and is there anything that I should be aware of that I would need to be extra careful. I know that alot of the jars are from the 20's by the shape and color.

Fruit Jars

Reaction score
Once the jars are empty and rinsed, I would just soak them overnight in dishwashing soap. If you plan to use them for canning you could then run them in the dishwasher.
Jerry

coreya

Reaction score
clean em up and take some pictures. We will let you know if there is anything worth keeping. And yes they may still be used for canning but it depends on the lip of the jar as some wont seal with modern methods.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello This last summer we sold around a hundred usable canning jars. They were from my Morther's supply and our supply when we lived on the farm and did a heck of a lot of canning. Most of the quarts went to a family that processes maple syrup and sell it in these canning jars they bought. RED Matthews

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased several outbuildings that were full of antique fruit. We emptied the jars into a 5 gallon bucket, then dug a trench at the back of the back yard & dumped it out in there. Surprisingly, nothing really smelled nasty except for a few jars of soup (I think) that had some kind of meat in it. Ewww. They all cleaned up easily enough. There were some with a light exterior haze, probably from the canning process - and a quick dip in Lime Away or CLR took care of that. And yes, I have some 80 year old jars that I still use for canning. -Tammy

deenodean

Reaction score
To open an old jar , just tap the bottom a few times with a butter knife. If that don't work get an oil filter wrench and start prying.
You mentioned there are colored jars in the batch, when u get those all cleaned please take some photo's and post them here.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler