New here...question on dealer sites...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mintcollector

Reaction score
Hello,

I am completely new to this forum and am learning about antique bottles, target balls, and related glass. I have visited several websites including Antique Bottle Trader and American Bottle Auctions. That being said, could anyone recommend some well respected dealer sites? Are the ones I thus far mentioned accurate in condition grading? I would prefer some recommendations before doing business with them, if possible. Any help is appreciated. Also, are their any good books on bottle and target ball collecting?

I do apologize if this is listed in the wrong forum. I am just looking for advice.

Thank you.

botlguy

Reaction score
Hi Shawn. Let me be the first or one of the first to welcome you to our group. It seems to me you are taking a good approach.
As for the bottle books, you might do best to search our archives for that subject. There are some great books but don't rely too heavily on Price Guides. However, there are a few good Specialty guides as those for Medicines, Fruit Jars, Warner's Safe Cures, Insulators.

The dealer source you mentioned, American Bottle Auctions, is good but typically deal in upper end , pricey pieces. If you are looking for lower end pieces + some higher end, I recommend our For Sale pages. I have found MOST of our sellers are reasonable and honest. We have several dealers on these pages and I trust them 100%. I won't name them now for fear of forgetting someone.

You should get additonal help shortly, hang on.

mintcollector

Reaction score
Thanks for answering so quick. Is 'antique bottle trader' pretty fair? My main interests (for now) are poison bottles and target bottles. I only ask because I wanted to know about their condition grading and prices. They list a lot of items as 'super mint so I am just being cautious.

I thanks again for the reply.

botlguy

Reaction score
I can not speak to Antique Trader accuracy, I have no experience with them. Jeff Wichman who runs American Bottle Auctions has always described items accurately, treated me fairly and will accept bottles back if mis-described. I would be suspicious of terms like Super Mint as Mint is Mint or as it came directly from the factory. How can it get better than that? Why does one have to embellish MINT unless it's a sales HYPE?

On a related note, since you claim to be new at this, in my opinion, factory flaws such as bubbles, some open bubbles, folds in the glass, milky or colored streaks (in not on the glass), stones, etc., do not count as "damage" but should be mentioned. Acceptance of this type of thing is, of course, personal preferrence.

There is a learning curve to this stuff, just keep asking and search the archives for additional, expansive information.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Welcome to the blue pages......... There is always e-bay, BUT do not buy from sellers with less than 100% feedback , and preferably those with over a hundred feedbacks. I have had extraordinary good luck on e-bay using those guidelines for over ten years, glass works auctions is another good site to buy bottles. you will get more help as the days go on, this is a pretty good site for info.........

epackage

Reaction score
American Glass Gallery, Heckler's, Glassworks and Pole Top Discoveries are all excellent auction houses and all are run by some of the most respected people in the hobby...

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back again mintcollector/ Make sure you enter (epackages) Book give awayq of Cecil Munsey's book "COLLECTING BOTTLES". It is one of the best and great for newbies - for all the learning that you can get out of it. Check your local librarys also, because I have found a lot of them that way - before I started looking for them. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis