Looking To Date This Milk Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dugbottles

Reaction score
Hey All .
Great Bunch of Bottle Hobbyist located here .I would fist like to thank the Host of this site .
I have just came across this very old milk bottle one of the oldest I have seen to date
I was hoping that someone here could help me in Dating this Bottle ?
the Bottle stands 8 1/2" tall and reads [ Alderney Milk and Cream Co. A . Vanarsdale 155.W.30TH St.] On the back it reads
[This Bottle is to be returned ] I don't have the greatest camera but these are the photos .

ALDERNEY-Miik-Cream-Co.A.VANARSDALE-155-west.30th-st-008-300x225.jpg

ALDERNEY-Miik-Cream-Co.A.VANARSDALE-155-west.30th-st-004-300x225.jpg

ALDERNEY-Miik-Cream-Co.A.VANARSDALE-155-west.30th-st-006-300x225.jpg

ALDERNEY-Miik-Cream-Co.A.VANARSDALE-155-west.30th-st-005-300x225.jpg

ALDERNEY-Miik-Cream-Co.A.VANARSDALE-155-west.30th-st-001-300x225.jpg

Thanks in advance .

epackage

Reaction score
No numbers or letters on the heel or bottom of the milk, looks like an early tintop...

Dugbottles

Reaction score
The bottle has an applied base with the seam stopping just above the shoulder of the bottle .No the bottle has no Numbers .thanks very much for the quick reply epackage

epackage

Reaction score
I'm guessing late 1880-1890's... Hopefully a 'milkie' will no better...[;)]

waskey

Reaction score
I would say probably right around 1900, give or take a few years. There really were not many milk bottles being used until the 1900s, but that is certainly a very early one. I have no idea where that one is from though; seems like every state had an "Alderney Dairy"

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: waskey

seems like every state had an "Alderney Dairy"
That's because Alderney was a 'Breed' of cow... [;)]

The Alderney was a breed of dairy cattle originating from the British Channel Island of Alderney, though no longer found on the island. The pure breed is now extinct, though hybrids still exist.

Pure-breed Alderneys were smaller, more slender boned animals than the cattle of the other Channel Islands and in some ways they were more deer-like than bovine. They were docile animals and would even follow children passively to or from pastures. Their milk was copious and produced very rich butter.

Most of the pure-breed Alderney cattle were removed from the island to Guernsey in the summer of 1940, because the island was then occupied by the Germans (during World War 2) and it was difficult for the few remaining islanders to milk them. On Guernsey, the cattle were interbred with local breeds. The few pure-breed cattle remaining on Alderney were killed and eaten by the Germans in 1944.

bombboy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the name you want to search for would be Van Arsdale, popular name in the NYC area.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
appox 1889 -1900 more like mid 1890's to date it closer.. most likley NY city.. If it maybe for sale I would be interested..

beendiggin

Reaction score
I was going to guess about 1900 -1910, but you really have to research that dairy. Even then it's just a range unless the bottle has a feature that was different from other bottles they used over their years of operation. Maybe the dairy only operated for one year. That would pin it down.

No matter, that is a very nice looking milk bottle with the tapered lip. Earlier than most for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis