Are These Bottles Related?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I am fortunate to have found this bottle a rare stoddard piece "Gutta Percha Oil Blacking" some years ago and saw the GPOB/ CCW bottle and could not help but notice the similarities. I figure the GPOB is an abbreviation for Gutta Percha. Im hoping someone might shed some light on the subject. The bottles are so similar except for the lack of "Patent in an arched panel and the Forbes &Co. Chatham Square NY on the aqua version. The CCW is a mystery as well. Any info would be great.

FF981132C5CB4DACA0C5442FA3B2F252.jpg

Attachments

• FF981132C5CB4DACA0C5442FA3B2F252.jpg
    FF981132C5CB4DACA0C5442FA3B2F252.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 65

beendiggin

Reaction score
Well, Kevin, that sounds like a mystery solved! Nice detective work! By the way, great looking bottle.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I had to write somthing here because I love these early crudely embossed bottles. I have been involved with a lot of hand cut lettering in bottle molds and have a big appreciation for the face that what you are chipping in the iron is backwards to what people end up reading correctly - if you don't make any letters like your mind thinks they should be as you are chipping.
RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I just went back to the forum and realized I didn't relate to the subject in my comment. They are all medicine bottles and good ones. RED Matthews

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, I dont know that I have solved the mystery. They certainly have similarities as well as differences. I was hoping someone out there would have some info that shows that its the same product and company possibly with a change of ownership. Red I would imagine a great deal of skill and patience went into the making of the bottle molds for sure. It seems we know more about the glass blowing process and very little about the manufacture of the making of lettered molds. If anyone has info on the CCW/GPOB bottles I would love to know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac