Question for sellers and shipping in extreme cold

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone has experienced pot stones, micro cracks etc. getting worse when shipping during extreme cold.
I tend to put off buying and selling without checking temps on both ends. Not just for bottles but anything that may be temperature sensitive.

antlerman23

Reaction score
i do think about that all the time, but i got a bottle in the mail on tuesday when it was -6 out, and it was fine. i just let the package warm up in my fridge for a few hours.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Thats a good question and I have wondered about it myself. I know shipping liquid filled bottles can be hazardous, but I've never had them break in the few circumstances I've had them shipped to me. Does UPS Ground still mean that they don't fly it or is it now just terminology for slower shipment method? If you're worried about it then maybe you can go the UPS Ground route to avoid the colder temperatures and pressure of cargo flights. Do you think that ground shipping would be harsh enough to break and chip bottles?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
i just let the package warm up in my fridge for a few hours.
Good point, I usually do that myself. Maybe it could be added as a suggestion in a list. It would tend to happen as a process of mailing, just a little more frequently.

MNJars

Reaction score
I love it, warm it up in the fridge. I know exactly how you feel!

botlguy

Reaction score
Now, I am no scientist but I believe that if properly packed in 2 layers of bubble wrap, surrounded with foam peanuts / popcorn and left on the floor for awhile, there should be no problem. The main point is: cool slow, warm slow.

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I'm just curious if anyone has experienced pot stones, micro cracks etc. getting worse when shipping during extreme cold.
I tend to put off buying and selling without checking temps on both ends. Not just for bottles but anything that may be temperature sensitive.

Hello Eric that sounds like thermal shock!! In the worse case bottle become cracked!! usually after the package down from the cargo plane (which is hot) to sudden temperature drop by the snowy area!! Well that's not a pretty sight!![:(]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown