Makes You Wounder

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dugbottles

Reaction score
I always wounder about the child that this shoe belonged to .The shoe is from the 1890's to 1920's so this little child grow up and had his or her life and is now gone or almost 100 years old .I always wounder about the person when I dig up shoes Do you ever think about them ?

539634_199108096869026_2120686789_n.jpg

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
Yeah, I think about it all the time. I mean, we diggers are the first people to touch these personal items in over a hundred or so years! It's kinda cool to think that someone years ago touched (or in your case wore) that item.

LC

Reaction score
Same when ever I dig up a soda bottle . I would wonder what the person was doing and what he might have witnessed at the time he was drinking it . Then too , I guess we all pretty well know what the person was doing if it was dug in a privy LOL .

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
That's the best part of privy digging, thinking about how these people lived and what was going on at the time they dumped there trash in the crapper.

I picture a man from the 1860s taking out the trash,walking to the outhouse building at night,he pauses and takes out a flask from his back pocket,polishes it off and drops it into the dark hole. While his wife hollers from the house "what are you doing out there!![:D]

When I find kids shoes in pits I often wonder if the child died early. Its a morbid thought but it is the way it was back then.

Dugbottles

Reaction score
Well some of the bones that I dig up make me wounder . But cow bones look very much like Human bones .

adshepard

Reaction score
Much the same here with my dive finds. The site I dive is an old steamship wharf and the bottles come from as far north as Nova Scotia and as far south as Philadelphia. I think about who was traveling, why and all that.

Stoneware bottles with fingerprints intrigue me. Clay pipes with their stems worn down by the teeth of some long dead soul are just fantastic. It's all very interesting and makes the hobby that much more fun.

Alan

coldwater diver

Reaction score
I always wounder about the child that this shoe belonged to .The shoe is from the 1890's to 1920's so this little child grow up and had his or her life and is now gone or almost 100 years old .I always wounder about the person when I dig up shoes Do you ever think about them ?

Definitely do wonder about it. So much history is lost and I think about what I could learn from the person that wore that shoe if I could have a conversation w/ them today. Especially exactly where the dumps are and out houses were. I do also appreciate a well brewed beer and whenever I find an ale or beer Im always wishing I could go back in time to try it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp