" Hey, I've got some bottles."

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

helm40

Reaction score
This is a small beef I have had for awhile. How many times has anyone heard this. You talk to people about bottles and they say sure I have got that bottle or I have some etc. Then you never hear anything again. I know to each his own and people can change their minds, but they should not excite a person like that and, nothing.
Thanks for the small rant.

botlguy

Reaction score
I'm interested in helping, if that is possible, but I am having a difficult time figuring out just what it is you are complaining about. Please enlighten us more and specify how we might help.

glass man

Reaction score
I love rants...your's was way too short...I could get on a rant just on rants...but I won't..for now..at least...JAMIE

helm40

Reaction score
I guess this a selfish complaint, and I'm not really asking for help. It's just about people either BS ing a person or just lying about something they don't have. I have had people tell me about milk Bottles they have or bottles in the basement etc and you try to keep in touch or find out more and nothing. Like they just lied you on for the fun of it. This of course can be my fault as well for believing them in the first place but why even tell me something when it's not true.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
THAT HAS HAPPENED....I DON'T KNOW FOR HOW LONG ...JUST ASK FOR A GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND WHERE THEY FOUND OR GOT IT FROM....FROM THERE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET ENOUGH INFO . EVERYONE NEEDS A GOOD RANT NOW AND THEN .

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Two years here and 17 posts? Is that a question or an admission of some kind.
Sorry, I'm in a real bad mood right now.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey Scott, I know what you mean.. and I've had this happen to me and heard other people's tales of woe about this. I think in the vast majority of cases, these people who tease us about their bottles lying around in the basement etc are not lying, they just aren't ultimately motivated enough to actually do anything about it. They might soon forget all about mentioning them, they might get to thinking about them and deciding to keep them, they might just never find the time to deal with it.. they might not realize the degree of interest they sparked in you.. each case is different, of course, so there's no universal way to deal with this. Being persistent and hounding might work sometimes, but it can also backfire and tick them off.. just keep in mind that not all leads are fruitful.. just like getting permission to dig a privy only to get skunked, or to go to a bottle show and find nothing you want.. or getting outbid on ebay at the last seconds.. we can't get 'em all..

Plumbata

Reaction score
I think Charlie got it right. Motivation to locate, dig out, and arrange a viewing for the random bottles these people have is probably not very high. If we are talking hundreds of dollars that is one thing, but it is likely that these people don't consider the time and energy investment to be particularly worthwhile. Flash big stacks of cash around and you will get their attention. Also, when you are talking bottles and people mention ones in their possession, it may just be a friendly attempt to be an active participant in the conversation. Generally speaking, excited discussions regarding old glass aren't very accessible to uninitiated observers, and since no one likes being left out of a conversation they may bring up their bottles to get their foot in the conversational door.

Also, I've been at the other end of this issue. I've considered trading or selling some desirable high end items, but when the prospective trading partners try hounding me to agree to an undesirable lopsided deal I get annoyed, and when people annoy me I tend to ignore them completely. Everyone likes to come out ahead, but it won't be happening at my expense. It is very easy to sense when someone is trying to be clever and pull one over on ya (you can almost "smell" their expectations exuding from their pores), and since I deeply resent the attempts to do so their plans do indeed backfire.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I hate it when I'm at a yard sale and I ask if there are any old bottles and the reply is something like "Oh we had a lot of really old bottles, great colors, etc. but we sold them all" I always wish they would just say "no sorry" and leave it at that.

One time I asked a guy at his yard sale if he had any old bottles- he had a lot of old books and tools he apparently collected. His reply to me was " No, I like putting all the old bottles I find on a fence and shooting at them." So I said to him as I walked away "That's a coincidence, I do the same thing with stupid old books and tools."

Some people are jerks. I can be one too.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown