Top 100 Pet Peeves about Ebay.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grizz44

Reaction score
Now I'm not complaining here because I use Ebay all the time both buying and selling but there are a few little things that just bug the heck out of me. I'm going to start listing them here and if you want to add to them just bump the number up till we get to 100.

1. I hate snipers. Especially when I'm trying to snipe something and they beat me.

2. Too many collectors on there. I want first pick and I want them cheap.

3. I hate reserve auctions. Either tell me what you want for it or start it somewhere and take your chances.

4. I hate it when they put great pictures in their auction. Makes for too much competition.

5. I hate when the seller wants to ship "economy". By the time you get it, you forgot you bought it.

Well that's all for now. Maybe I should change it to top 10.

epackage

Reaction score
Having to give part of the shipping costs to Ebay/Paypal is the only thing that irks me...

botlenut

Reaction score
Although I rarely have conflicts with people. I as a seller think I should have the right to give negative feedback. I have given two refunds that were really unwarrented. Mainly just to keep from getting a neg. If I can get a neg, I should be able to deal one out. I do enjoy selling from my own house, at my own scheduale though. Just my opinion.

Dugbottles

Reaction score
When you do a revise your listing and they count it as one of you 50 free listings

Plumbata

Reaction score
Seems to go both ways for many of those peeves there Grizz44. Especially when it comes to sellers in Europe with crap English who go rob ancient celtic, roman, byzantine, and viking ruins and tombs of their valuables to sell on ebay no reserve starting at a buck. I've gotten super excellent ancient stuff very cheap because such sellers didn't even know what they were selling, and had bad pics, titles, and descriptions on top of it. Not nearly as easy to find extraordinary deals on bottles, and when it comes to 500.00+ bottles my collection is lacking, well, I would much rather spend the money on a 16th century Hungarian war hammer or other badass piece of medieval skullcrushing steel than a useless fragile empty 19th century bottle with a pretty color. Much prefer digging them anyway. Depends what one is looking for but eBay is still a superb source of steals if you are a collector of the right kind of stuff and are creative about how you look for it.

ORIGINAL: botlenut

I as a seller think I should have the right to give negative feedback.

This is my main beef. Quite recently some British asshat left a negative because he had to pay import duties. Pretty obviously the responsibility of the buyer, one would think. He wanted me to not only refund that, but a bunch of extra cash to compensate for his "inconvenience" before he would remove the negative. I would have been OK with refunding the customs fees even though I am under no legal or moral obligation to do so, but extortion takes it way too far. I can live with the negative, but wish I could let others know to be wary of the buyer.

I am pretty sure that when a seller leaves a "positive" feedback it can be removed if what is expressed isn't positive. So "Beware all sellers, this guy is a reverse scammer" would probably get deleted by eBay because it doesn't jive with the whole "positive" thing. eBay makes it pretty hard for sellers to protect themselves or warn each-other about the bad-apple-buyers out there.

zecritr

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Dugbottles

When you do a revise your listing and they count it as one of you 50 free listings

so true a big Grrrr there

and the others by Plumbata

My biggest peeve has been when ebay or paypal or both screw up people being able to pay...has happened to me a few times now as both buyer and seller

justanolddigger

Reaction score
both buying and selling

As a seller, I assume you go against the things you hate about ebay & take lousy pics, run a short time frame so less people have a chance to see your item, and block all snipe bidders, I'm sure you hate last minute bids to cheat the poor guy that bid early on your auctions?

grizz44

Reaction score
Don't worry, I don't hate Ebay and my peeves change from time to time depending on the situation. That's why they are peeves instead of gripes or complaints. The perfect auction would be one where I could buy what I wanted dirt cheap and sell what I had for twice its value. Instead we have reallity and good ole Ebay accepting the good and the bad. There's really no place else on or off the internet where one can get the exposure to sell or find the huge variety when looking to buy.

While I'm at it --- 7. I hate rag mops, I'm a sponge mop kinda guy. Everybody knows rag mops don't work!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Having to give part of the shipping costs to Ebay/Paypal is the only thing that irks me...
Yup, me too. I may have to move to St Louis so it's closer to the same anywhere.
Gotta charge you cause you may be trying to avoid fees, they say? Right!!!
It's more like your sending it to California from the east coast so you have to pay more.

There's one?
They should have an "Only ships to the following states".[:D]

Kidding, I know, if the shipping is too much, west coasters just won't buy or will bitch about it later.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18