Question about Coca-Cola caps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Alex I would also like to add that these caps would have been on Roanoke straight side cokes.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Can you hold the bottle at an angle to see if it is a cork-lined cap? A 60's+ cap is plastic, or somewhere in that timeframe. They look a little too new to me as well, but I'm no Coca Cola expert.

You could always ease it off with a bottle opener to inspect it and put it back on. Won't hurt the value any. Well, I would rather have an empty bottle myself. Have no plans to ever drink the contents unless on a bet of anything past the expiration date. If original, that one is about 100 years rotten.

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
The cap on your bottle is about 50 years off..

Straight side Coke bottle caps had the words "minimum contents" arched on the top. These were mainly from the 1915-late 20s

Some of the other straight side caps just said Coca Cola in the middle and pat. off below but are hard to prove the exact era since there were similar looking ones in the 30s-50's

When in doubt just look for the arched text on top. This only applied to US caps. Canada and other countries had arched text later on for the hobble skirts.

I actually just bought a nice cap from Los Angeles from the straight side coke era.

It should be a $50 cap
T2eC16VHJGoE9nuQfevtBQ3u-Qki860_57_zps5452156e.jpg

For the most part I would stay away from ANY straight side coke that has been claimed to be unopened. 99% of them are re-sealed. The only one I have seen that I suspect as being unopened is one I purchased a while back . My guess is it was an early bottle 1905 ish was was used for about 10 years hence the extensive wear. My guess it was re-filled for the last time and just put away. The liquid is completely fermented looking and the cork of the cap fell in and is disintegrating.

KGrHqEOKi0E4ndZDvB9BOK2VI0g0_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKjcE354ZGFGRBOK2V-rm2Q0_3.jpg

KGrHqEOKjkE4ofChnOBOK2WbI0-w0_3.jpg

this style of cap was also used for straight side Cokes but its hard to prove since this style was used from late 1900s to 30s-40s
KGrHqQOKiE4fpPHjcBOK2Wn0RHQ0_3.jpg

AlexD

Reaction score
Thanks all you guys for replying, I appreciate it. And Dave, that's a nice bottle! The SC is one of my favorites. [:)] I'll list it soon, it's still a very nice reproduction if it's not real. I do not see any cork pieces inside so it's probably has the plastic padding inside instead. [:(]

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AlexD

Thanks all you guys for replying, I appreciate it. And Dave, that's a nice bottle! The SC is one of my favorites. [:)] I'll list it soon, it's still a very nice reproduction if it's not real. I do not see any cork pieces inside so it's probably has the plastic padding inside instead. [:(]

No prob Alex. To verify your thoughts; here is picture proof about your cap. I'd say late 1970s Its indeed not cork, but still a nice bottle. Some folks might enjoy the look of it for nostalgic purposes.
Good luck on your sale.

il_570xN276198954_zps725ee198.jpg

AlexD

Reaction score
I listed the bottle just a few minutes ago. I'm going to upload more pictures to Photobucket and into the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290866872028?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
I know the price is quite steep for something that may not even be fully genuine. It's a very nice bottle and must've been kept in just the right conditions. [8D] On the outside, if it weren't for the dings and little scraped parts, just remove the water stains and it's be perfect. It still looks amazing with my other bottles, I'm pretty sure someone will like it!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
AlexD ~

Interesting and confusing Coca Cola bottle and bottle cap. I hope the following information helps.

Regarding the bottle itself, I didn't see any comments pertaining to the D.O.C., which I have to believe stands for "District of Columbia." But why it would have both D.O.C. and Charleston, West Virginia on it is confusing, especially when you take into account that the two cities are about 250 miles apart. ???

The following link will take you to a website showing the approximate dates for various Coca Cola bottles. Notice bottle No. 9. "Shoulder Script" and that it is dated circa 1910-1919. If accurate, this should be the approximate date for your bottle ...

Coca Cola Bottles / Shoulder Script / 1910-1919
http://www.antiquebottles.com/coke/index.html

Regarding the cap, the following link will take you to a website called C.C.S.I. / Crown Caps Collectors International.

C.C.S.I. Link
http://www.bottlecapclub.org/index.php

1. Click on the column where it says "Crown Cap Search"

2. Where it says Description/Brand Name/Contains, type in the word Coca-Cola (Be sure to use a dash - between Coca-Cola or else it won't work). Then click on "Search." It might take a minute to load but will eventually pull up 300+ Coca-Cola caps (17 Pages).

3. Item number #016089 & #017856 indicate Coca-Cola caps between circa 1906 and 1915 and should be similar to the one that originally came on your circa 1910-1919 bottle.

4. The cap on your bottle is unique in that it has Trade-Mark (R). With the (R) standing for "Registered." The majority of the caps pictured say "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." Of the 300+ caps pictured, the only one I could find similar to yours with "Trade-Mark (R)-in-a-circle" was item #022708 (second row) and dated circa 1961-1964. I never did find one "exactly" like yours, but I could easily have missed it.

Note: If anyone has the answer, I would be interested in knowing why Alex's bottle has both "D.O.C. and Charleston, WVA" embossed on it? Reminder: The two locations are about 250 miles apart.

Thanks.

Sodapopbob

[ Circa 1906-1915 Coca-Cola cap from C.C.S.I. site ]

4CFA6E46B4DD4967963873E37A589CAD.jpg

Attachments

• 4CFA6E46B4DD4967963873E37A589CAD.jpg
    4CFA6E46B4DD4967963873E37A589CAD.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 67

epackage

Reaction score
I don't the DOC has anything to do with District of Columbia, just a guess though that's founded in nothing...[;)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

I don't the DOC has anything to do with District of Columbia, just a guess though that's founded in nothing...[;)]

If the D.O.C. does stand for District of Columbia, is it possible the two locations were once part of the same distribution area/territory?

Bob

epackage

Reaction score
I doubt the O would be a capital letter, and I found this on Reggie Lynch's site for a straight side Coke from Buffalo NY....

Coca-Cola / BUFFALO, N.Y.
Green tinted glass, height 7 3/4", BIM with crown top, shoulder embossed "TRADE MARK / Coca-Cola / REGISTERED" in unusual style, above base embossed "BOTTLING CO. / BUFFALO, N.Y.", above base on back embossed "D.O.C. 1213" (circa 1913), excellent condition with some stain and dings but no chips/cracks, first Coke I've seen in this style, item #C359, SOLD.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis