thrift store insulator finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Altom

Reaction score
Hello new guy here. I recently have started to further my interest in antique bottle and glass overall so i have been hitting thrift stores and an swap meet where i have had much fun researching my glass purchases history and all that. I have been able to identify my first two purchases but after just today i found two insulators which one i have had trouble identifying so any help from this forums expertise would be awesome thanks.

DSCN03211_zps9af69883.jpg

DSCN03221_zps497d193c.jpg

DSCN03231_zps8ca92335.jpg

The insulators embossing shows brookfield new york with a backwards four on the dome

BillinMo

Reaction score
Welcome!

You have a telephone exchange insulator. It would have been used on local lines. A line builder could use the two grooves to avoid stringing two phone lines completely parallel to each other, so as to eliminate "cross-talk."

Brookfield was a large insulator producer for many years. Yours would probably be from 1903 to some year before 1920 when they stopped production.

You probably know that pin-type insulators are classified into shapes known as consolidated design numbers (CD). This is a CD 112, which often has a lot of variation from one company to the next. Even Brookfield made a variety of 112s -- some are slimmer and more squared-off than yours, but they're all CD 112.

The typical aqua's a fairly common piece, maybe a dollar or two price range.

Altom

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I couldn't have asked for a more detailed answer including the history and everything. Thanks again BillinMo.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac