Bottle Buying Ebay vs Shows

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello all,

This conversation about a hobby we love is just that, a conversation. I hope this does not get very heated etc, just looking for your thoughts.

Past: Went to the Baltimore bottle show last year, brought about $400. Here in New England we dont have many many colored squats and I was on the hunt. But sadly I only found two colored sodas and one had an unadvertised crack but I got it for $10 so I thought something was up. No harm no foul. But I was amazed at how few squats were available for $50 and under.

Current: I bought these on ebay in the past month for $23 Shaal and $48 for the other.

I understand that there are set up costs, high travel costs.....completely understood. I just thought there would be more squats, especially in an area that produced so many.

Last point: I cant not say it enough that I would prefer to purchase at bottle shows, its great to meet people and talk about a hobby we all love.

8CCD68263D504A9A85E40FD2785102C6.jpg

Attachments

• 8CCD68263D504A9A85E40FD2785102C6.jpg
    8CCD68263D504A9A85E40FD2785102C6.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 58

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i have gotten many bottles from ebay that i would never have found local. i enjoy the local show very much but am not inclined to travel to other shows. to me ebay offers a way to add bottles to my collection that i would never have a chance at otherwise.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I do as much of both as possible.. ebay is fine if you have the self-control about bidding.. lots of stuff gets stupid high on the bay.. shows are always awesome, I usually come home with a box full of stuff.. the 'combined shipping' helps at the shows, and you get to play with them before you buy.... [;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I do as much of both as possible.. ebay is fine if you have the self-control about bidding.. lots of stuff gets stupid high on the bay.. shows are always awesome, I usually come home with a box full of stuff.. the 'combined shipping' helps at the shows, and you get to play with them before you buy.... [;)]
I agree totally, I've never left a bottle show without a box full of bottles...

stlouisbottles

Reaction score
I myself enjoy going to the bottle show's buying bottles, you get to hold the bottle in your hand and you meet a lot of great people! I am sometimes unable to travel to far away from home because of work and recent injuries to my back and shoulder. I cannot wait to retire!

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I agree totally, I've never left a bottle show without a box full of bottles...

I'm with Charlie on this one, but I have found that ebay has been letting some great bottles go cheap lately, if your looking in the right places and certain categories... on the other hand an Eastern Cider Squat in Amber will get 150-200 on ebay right now and I can pick them up at shows for 90 bucks. The last show I went to (out west here) I got some awesome deals on eastern glass that were far better then I could get them on ebay or out east at a show, then a month ago I sold a 5-600 dollar flask on ebay for 300 bucks!

You would love a Western show Ben, rows and rows of blue and green squat soda's... usually 50 plus though...

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
One has to do a LOT OF LOOKIN' to do a LITTLE FINDIN'. Stuff rarely falls into you lap with out quite a bit of effort. Enjoy both venues and keep at it.

[sm=thumbup.gif]

Bottleworm

Reaction score
I love Ebay. It is easy to use and there is always stuff being listed. I am an EBay fan but then again I have never been to a bottle show. Wonder what they are like[8|]

antlerman23

Reaction score
to be 100% honest, if the bottle isnt local to me, price is the single most important factor.
all of my bottles so far have come from flea markets, this forum, or ebay, and most were cheap!
i am really hoping that there are some deals at the show this spring!
i like ebay, but i think the show will be WAY better

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis