SECONDS FROM $15.000!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
A good many years ago I was at a flea market not far from home..got there early..not quite early enough...As I was getting right to a guy's booth I saw him pull out a HIRE'S ROOT BEER SYRUP label under glass bottle..I heard a guy say to a person standing there "I will take 8 dollars for it"..MY HEART STARTED RACING!!Well as the buyer was coming out of the booth I started to make him an offer on the bottle..but couldn't..instead I told him he had a great bottle..it was mint!

I said it might be worth at least a couple of hundred bucks..but that was only a guess..I told him the ATLANTA BOTTLE SHOW was coming up ..but I couldn't remember exactly when..I gave him my phone number and told him to call me if he wanted the info..because some one their would know more.

He called and I told him the date of the show and gave him directions on how to get there.

He called after the show and said many looked at it and told him it may be worth as much as $800..but he wanted to find out all he could about it.

He got in touch with ALLAN PETRETTI..the guy that wrote"PETRETTI'S COCA-COLA PRICE GUIDE"..who told him it may be really rare and he would auction it off for him if he wanted him too..the bottle was sent to him and Petretti told him he had never seen one like this and in perfect shape to boot

Well it auctioned for..YEP 15 thousand dollars!

I only found this out at the ROME GA.BOTTLE show where the guy that had the bottle came to my table told me the story...man so very close..I would have no doubt sold it for the 800 dollars!!He said the money was long gone and he had gave a thousand to this person and that person...I grinned..stuck out my hand and said"WHERE IS MINE"?[8D] HE IS A VERY NICE PERSON!!DANG!!GLAD FOR HIM THOUGH..but got to admit..woulda been glader for me!![:)] JAMIE

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I guess it wasn't this one that sold for $425? Was it similar?
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8731872

glass man

Reaction score
It didn't have that top..and had "HIRES ROOT BEER" on the label..was super mint too!!Been a few years now..also seems like it was bigger around..when I saw it coming out of the dealer's box..I was hoping the person was not going to buy it..OH WELL!
JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis