New to this but need help...I have a huge 40 yr-old collection!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OSUChE

Reaction score
Hi Collectors!

I have been toting a cache of bottles that I collected 40+ years ago as a teenager in Central Arizona. Most are from area mines near Prescott and the Verde Valley. I'm considering selling now, as storing these for any longer seems pointless. Question is: Where do I go from here?

I've no idea where to begin with sorting through them all. Some may be worthless and others??? I'm guessing I have somewhere between 250-300 bottles. I have five crates containing maybe 50-60 bottles each. They are 'as found' and few if any ever displayed or cleaned. They were always wrapped and carefully stored.

I've spent quite some time researching Ebay and various bottle sites, some good-some bad, and have learned quite a bit about bottles (and collectors!) already.

So...

I've carefully photographed about 30 bottles. Some are older, and some newer. I thought I'd post a link to the myriad of photos and see if anyone would be interested in pursuing them and forwarding me any comments or advice.

Main question at this point is: CLEAN or DON'T CLEAN, meaning only with soap and a brush right now (as apposed to tumbling, etc.).

So here's the link if it didn't work above: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5AACAB43829E9DC9!150&authkey=!AA88wacZbZFCOpw

Thanks for any assistance and advice your community has to offer!

Rick

5F4756F23A914D0AA3CAC5C57ED7BC04.jpg

Attachments

• 5F4756F23A914D0AA3CAC5C57ED7BC04.jpg
    5F4756F23A914D0AA3CAC5C57ED7BC04.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 111

antlerman23

Reaction score
soap and a brush wont hurt the glass at all. there look to be two or three decent bottles in that lot you have picures of. the big wine/whiskey bottle is my favorite of the group

jays emporium

Reaction score
I hate to tell ya but you've already spent more time on those bottles than they are worth. When you said 40 year collection from Arizona I was expecting to see some Hutchinson sodas, maybe some blob tops, Bitters, Western Whiskeys. Just my wild imagination I guess.
I only saw one bottle in the pics that is worth more than a dollar or two. That is the Los Angeles drug store bottle. That might be a $15-20 bottle. The rest are mostly 1920s-30s and have little collector value. I wouldn't bother washing them. Maybe put them on Craigslist and someone local might want them.
Sorry for the bad news. Maybe someone else will confirm my opinion or maybe they will spot something I missed.

zecritr

Reaction score
you have a couple in there that i would pay about 2 bucks apiece for other than that and the one mentioned above.......well might try e-bay,at least in that batch. Great Pics BTW

jays emporium

Reaction score
BTW, Richard, where are you located? If OSU stands for OHIO State, I'll be in Zanesville this summer and could maybe go through the bottles for you. If it is OKLAHOMA State, I don't get there often.
Jay

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Welcome Osuche. Sorry to pile on but I concur with the others. There were a couple of bottles that were okay. For the most part, I wouldn't take them if you gave them to me. Sorry.

OSUChE

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone!!!

So sounds like I should just go through and look for the older/unique ones, take a quick photo and go from there...? I'd be looking for those that are not machine made or molded? Maybe unpack them all and take a group photo? Your group seems to be able to cull quickly...

I recall a few in the batch to be from local (Prescott) pharmacies.

@ Jay: I'm a Beaver from Oregon State, right now near Salem, heading soon to Anchorage, hence reducing the storage...

Rick

jays emporium

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot about the OSU Beavers. Prescott drugstore bottles go for about $20 each but there is one that is embossed EVERYTHING CURATIVE that sells higher because it is considered a CURE bottle. If you have that one it's definitely an ebay bottle.
Jay

zecritr

Reaction score
Cool have fun in anchorage,just moved down from there due to health reasons not because of any desire to leave Alaska LOL
If you just want to get rid of any of them I'm always game but then I'm a new collecter anyways i take just about anything lol and think it's grat (wife thinks I'm nuts though)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp