$1000 dollars for a collection of commons , whats the most overpriced you've seen

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
Sadly, that is a typical story Matt. The root of it is, in my opinion, a combination of greed and mistrust, the mistrust brought on by todays society's inclination towards dishonesty. Hardly anybody trusts anybody anymore.

RCO

Reaction score
at least you left with a bottle and some furniture , i didn't leave with anything but a picture of the one unusal local bottle he had .
what i'm noticing alot at garage sales or online ads is people are starting to assume anything old is valuable but alot of the times that isn't necessary true and they are often way overpricing items on the basis that there old but haven't done any research to determine if there actually collectable items or not

myself for the future i'm not going to try and purchase bottles online unless there is a sensible and reasonable price listed in the ad or they are listed on a credible site like ebay . no more of these overpriced " make us an offer " online classfied ads

ironmountain

Reaction score
guy had an ad in CL that said huge Coke collection 3,000 dollars and a ton of "old" stuff. I'm pretty ignorant about Coke products. (other than the massive amount of info you guys/gals provide & research). I just wanted to see a sweet collection. He had quite a bit of Coke stuff.. a few 6packs from the 80's "still full!" and the rest was stuff like the repro christmas tins, the M&M guys etc...from the late 80's/90's.... everything was very common...

David Fertig

Reaction score
Before I go and look at anything, I always ask what they want for it. If they tell me to come and take a look and let them know what I will give, I usually let my number and tell them to give me a call when they decide what they want.

Spent too many miles and hours to "appraise" items in the past.

LC

Reaction score
Years ago I read an ad in the local paper once of old bottles for sale . The place was only seven miles or so from me so I decided to go and take a look . When I got there I saw that the house and building on the lot were quite run down . Got out of the truck and went and knocked on the door . A tall thin elderly lady answered the door . I told her why I was there and she pointed to a fence row and said that the bottles were laying along the fence . I walked out to the fence to find screw top pint whiskey bottles stacked one after the other along the fence . Most were paper labeled and most all the labels were gone . I went back to the door and told the lady that they were not old enough for me to have any interest in them .

I also noticed when I drove back her lane that there was an old Model A or T in a building that looked like it might fall over at any minute . I made reference to the car and asked if she would want to sell it . She said there was no way that she could ever sell the car as it was her Mother's car . She said that she bought it new in 1927 and only her and her Mother were the only ones to ever turned a wrench on it if something would go wrong with it . I told her that when I was a kid I used to see two women come to town in a car something like that, and I always got tickled when I saw them Being the woman driving was quite tall and the other woman was very short . In the winter when they came you could see that they were bundle up quite heavily to try and stay warm in it , guess it did not have a heater in it . After I told the lady my story she laughed and said Yep , that was us and that they always did their shopping in town where I lived . I was blown away being that had bee such a long time ago .

I was getting ready to leave and the lady asked me if I would like to come in and have a cup of coffee to warm myself up , it was late fall at that time . Then she said it got so lonely there for her and I was more compelled to take her up on her offer more than ever .

Upon going into the house I noticed that there was no electric in the house . She used lantern to light the room of the house when it was dark . We went on into the kitchen and there was the coffee pot sitting on a wood burning flat top cast iron stove . We sat down to the strongest cup of coffee I ever drank in my life and I listened to her tell stories for what must have been at least two hours . Regretfully I came away with no bottles but left enriched with so many colorful stories by someone thirsting for a little company to be able to chat with . I still think of that lady every now and then .

ironmountain

Reaction score
outside of the guy with new shotglasses and mugs and Jim Beam decanters who wants 500...

I get ppl like this:

http://up.craigslist.org/hsh/3634567923.html

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac