$1000 dollars for a collection of commons , whats the most overpriced you've seen

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
you might of seen my other post about the lake of bays bottle and collection of bottles for sale i went and saw last week .

anyways i noticed a classifed add online for a bottle collection for sale that was only 15 minutes away from my house so i called the guy and went over the same day to look at it . the add did not show pictures of the bottles so i had no idea what he had , he did however mention over the phone he wanted $1000.00 but the add said he had a collection of bottles from 1900's so i though maybe he has some really rare and valuable bottles to justify the price or at least it be interesting to look at what he has .

but when i get there he mentions most of the bottles are covered in snow and not able to look at . he did have alot of bottles in the basement but 95% would be considered common and not desirable for collectors or the type of bottle they'd pay very little money if any to acquire and only like 2 or 3 bottles were actually 100 years old . most were 40's-50's , lots of common locals , pepsi , coca cola , 7 up nothing you wouldn't see anywhere else or find in any normal dump. his collection even included javex bottles and plain milk jugs with no names on them .

and yet even after i spent 20 minutes looking at them and pointing out there was nothing really valuable there he still looked at me with a straight face wanting $1000.00 cash and wouldn't even consider negotiating a lower price . but he did say if he couldn't sell it he was just going to keep the bottles so maybe he didn't really want to sell or bottles had way more sentimental value than retail value . i have no idea just though experience was a bit weird .
wondering if anyone else has ran into bottles or collections people wanted way too much money for

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
I had a chance to "apraise" the collection of a late digger last year. before I had a chance to look at the collection the son of the digger mentioned $5000 in passing. It turned out that he did have a substantial collection of over a thousand bottle with 95% at pre 1900. but in the end there was really only one milk crate full of really good stuff. We offered $500, and were refused. I intend on following up this spring to see if his stance is negotiable.

jays emporium

Reaction score
I was unfortunate enough to look at TWO huge collections in the Houston area last summer that were massive piles of junk. The first ran an ad in AB&GC for collection for sale for $8000. In this case the couple had dug most of their bottles in Vicksburg, Ms 30-40 years ago and kept everything they dug up. The garage was full of boxes of bottles but about 3000 bottles were commemorative Cokes, mostly with the contents, from 1980s-90s. A crate with 50 of those is tremendously heavy but I moved them around to get to the boxes of dug bottles. There were box after box of unembossed wines, beers, medicines, whatever. I found some boxes of Hutchinsons but all VICKSBURG STEAM BOTTLING WORKS, no Biedenharn bottles. I asked about that and the 85 year old lady told me, "Oh, I've got some of those in the house but the kids want to keep them." Then I found one box marked BITTERS - KEEP and thought that would be the jackpot. Among the Hostetters and Lashs there was one KELLY'S OLD CABIN BITTERS but it had a crack so big I don't know how it stayed in one piece. There were plastic crates stacked beside the house, all with the same unembossed crap and about 50 more crates in the backyard, tarped over that I didn't take time to look at. I would guess over 10.000 bottles in all. I didn't bother to make an offer. It would cost me more to move all those bottles than the whole collection was worth. If the kids call me after the lady passes away I might take it for free, depending on how busy I was at that time.
Then I got to "appriase" another collection with a similar story. This one was salveged in Mobile, Al after Hurricane Katrina and moved to Houston. Again, the mountain of boxes was stacked in the garage. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this one since I knew I wasn't going to buy it anyway. I looked through about 10% of the boxes and again found tons of unembossed bottles. The SS Cokes I found were all damaged, the Hutchinsons were common and damaged, the Bitters were damaged. This one definitely had the look of being picked over many years ago. Again, over 10,000 bottles and maybe one percent were collectibe. I told the couple they had a monster that would be nearly impossible to get rid of.
Two bad experiences back to back but I keep looking. The good experiences, even though they may be few, make up for the bad ones.

RCO

Reaction score
if he hadn't mentioned the price in advance i never would of guessed he wanted so much , i would of been prepared to pay $200-$250 for what he had as he did have a couple i could of resold and some i wanted for personal collection . if after looking he had said he wanted a grand i would of been left speechless that he though it was worth so much .

what often happens with bottle collections or accumulations is people have quanity over quality or simply haven't had the oppurtunity to dig or buy any rare bottles so they only have common ones . but still think there bottles are worth as much is the rare ones on ebay or at antique stores . there not knowledgeable enough to realise the price difference in say a hard to find acl over the value of say a common one .

the problem with the guy i looked at was he hadn't bought his bottles at retail prices or tried to sell before so he had no idea what they were really worth or what bottles a collector would actually want . he had mostly dug them in his backyard and must of though they were worth alot more

jays emporium

Reaction score
The other thing I've found is that if a person has collected the bottles themself they have a personal attachment to the collection and value the bottles more, sometimes much more than they are actually worth. If the collector is deceased, however, I can often buy the collection quite reasonably from the heirs who just want to get rid of that junk. I haven't thought of a polite way yet to tell the 85 year old collector, "Have your kids call me after you're dead."

jarhead67

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium

I was unfortunate enough to look at TWO huge collections in the Houston area last summer that were massive piles of junk. The first ran an ad in AB&GC for collection for sale for $8000. In this case the couple had dug most of their bottles in Vicksburg, Ms 30-40 years ago and kept everything they dug up. The garage was full of boxes of bottles but about 3000 bottles were commemorative Cokes, mostly with the contents, from 1980s-90s. A crate with 50 of those is tremendously heavy but I moved them around to get to the boxes of dug bottles. There were box after box of unembossed wines, beers, medicines, whatever. I found some boxes of Hutchinsons but all VICKSBURG STEAM BOTTLING WORKS, no Biedenharn bottles. I asked about that and the 85 year old lady told me, "Oh, I've got some of those in the house but the kids want to keep them." Then I found one box marked BITTERS - KEEP and thought that would be the jackpot. Among the Hostetters and Lashs there was one KELLY'S OLD CABIN BITTERS but it had a crack so big I don't know how it stayed in one piece. There were plastic crates stacked beside the house, all with the same unembossed crap and about 50 more crates in the backyard, tarped over that I didn't take time to look at. I would guess over 10.000 bottles in all. I didn't bother to make an offer. It would cost me more to move all those bottles than the whole collection was worth. If the kids call me after the lady passes away I might take it for free, depending on how busy I was at that time.
Then I got to "appriase" another collection with a similar story. This one was salveged in Mobile, Al after Hurricane Katrina and moved to Houston. Again, the mountain of boxes was stacked in the garage. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this one since I knew I wasn't going to buy it anyway. I looked through about 10% of the boxes and again found tons of unembossed bottles. The SS Cokes I found were all damaged, the Hutchinsons were common and damaged, the Bitters were damaged. This one definitely had the look of being picked over many years ago. Again, over 10,000 bottles and maybe one percent were collectibe. I told the couple they had a monster that would be nearly impossible to get rid of.
Two bad experiences back to back but I keep looking. The good experiences, even though they may be few, make up for the bad ones.

At least you went and looked. Can't ever pass up an opportunity, otherwise you may never know what gets passed up. The old phrase "You win some, you lose some" comes to mind on those two experiences you wrote about. While I've never purchased a collection, large or small, I'd always be interested in an old timer asking me to stop on by, even if it turned out to be a couple window bottles, just to look. I know you buy larger collections as I've been fortunate to purchase some of your druggist finds from you on eBay and I've always been pleased! Keep lookin'!

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score

ABF8369C253A43A48B2844A289EBE461.jpg

Attachments

• ABF8369C253A43A48B2844A289EBE461.jpg
    ABF8369C253A43A48B2844A289EBE461.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 82

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: digger dun

yeah, people will find a castoria, or a burnett's extract and think they've got something really valuable. it's uncomfortable to burst that bubble sometimes.

No kiddin they think they are going to get rich. We went to a barn one time that was supposedly filled with "good" bottles I knew before i got there what the outcome would be. A barn full of "federal law prohibits" Time to saddle up the horses and ride! [8D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium

The other thing I've found is that if a person has collected the bottles themself they have a personal attachment to the collection and value the bottles more, sometimes much more than they are actually worth.  If the collector is deceased, however, I can often buy the collection quite reasonably from the heirs who just want to get rid of that junk.  I haven't thought of a polite way yet to tell the 85 year old collector, "Have your kids call me after you're dead."

Have him write a promissory note. This old lady wont let us dig her yard now, but when she dies she said we could do it. I didn't do it yet but I am going back to get a statement from her ,soon.shes 97.[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum