he said he'd sell me bottle then goes and sells it to someone else

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
( the original emails start at bottom and oldest at top , email addresses have been removed . basically i saw an add online for a acl soda bottle i wanted , i reply to the add and poster replies back and even suggests a location and time where we can meet so i can buy bottle but when i go and reply back suddenly its all been sold to another buyer without him even asking for my imput or how much i would have been willing to pay for the bottle . this isn't the first negative experience i've had with this seller . last year i replied to one of his kijji ads and then suddenly he wouldn't even sell me the bottle . this guy is super dishonest and has no morals . he should of still sold me the bottle or at least gave me a chance to buy the whole lot . moral of the story if you see any Kiiji ads for bottles from " collingwood " ontario and guy wants to meet in barrie stay far away and don't reply its not worth the time . this seller is a total fraud and watse of time . )

Sorry Ryan

I just made arrangements for the Job lot of bottles.

Thank you

for your interest

john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: @yahoo.ca
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 10:59:40 AM
Subject: RE: Reply to your "Vintage Reg 1931 Collins Bev. Soda Pop 7 0z Bottle Barrie" Ad on Kijiji

i really wanted that bottle i actually have 2 similar to it , one is from sudbury and another welland , same design of bottle but mine are embossed not acl and a bit older than barrie bottle , i would of paid more than $5 for that bottle as i know its hard to find

to bad we couldn't make a deal but due to distance of drive to barrie from where i live and other plans i have this weekend i don't think i'll be able to meet you just for 1 bottle but i'm at least glad to get to see a picture of that barrie bottle and i'll keep an eye out looking for another one available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 05:49:49 -0800
Subject: Re: Reply to your "Vintage Reg 1931 Collins Bev. Soda Pop 7 0z Bottle Barrie" Ad on Kijiji
To: @hotmail.com

Sorry Ryan the Barrie bottle and the rest of the soda pops are spoken for and is going as a job lot and no longer available.

I can do the brandon and baby bottle and box for $20

Thank you for your interest

john

Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 8:29:39 AM
Subject: RE: Reply to your "Vintage Reg 1931 Collins Bev. Soda Pop 7 0z Bottle Barrie" Ad on Kijiji

i'm from a bit north of barrie so i would have to drive down but thats ok as i was planning to go that way anyways , i've been to that mcdonalds before so no issue meeting there , couldn't do 9am but could meet at 11 am
do you have any other bottles that i might be interested in from simcoe / muskoka areas ? i might be interested in the brandon brewery bottle at say $20 for it and the barrie bottle

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 17:15:17 -0800
Subject: Re: Reply to your "Vintage Reg 1931 Collins Bev. Soda Pop 7 0z Bottle Barrie" Ad on Kijiji
To: @hotmail.com

Hello: Where are you located?

I will be in Barrie at the McDonalds On the North west corner of Bayfield Str and Livingstone for 9am and again at 11am this Sat Mar 9

But i could meet in the hrs between if that would help.

Thanks for your interest

john

From: "Kijiji Reply (from @hotmail.com)" <post@kijiji.ca>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:58:43 PM
Subject: Reply to your "Vintage Reg 1931 Collins Bev. Soda Pop 7 0z Bottle Barrie" Ad on Kijiji

Hello! The following is a reply to your "Vintage Reg 1931 Collins Bev. Soda Pop 7 0z Bottle Barrie" Ad on Kijiji:

interested in the bottle if its still available , been looking for a barrie bottle and that one is it , could try and meet you in barrie

You can respond to "@hotmail.com" by replying to this email.

Other options:

•Want more replies? Promote your ad through My Kijiji.
•Ad no longer relevant? Delete your ad from the original Manage My Ads email or from Kijiji.
•If this reply is offensive, inappropriate, suspicious or spam, you can report the user.

Important Kijiji Safety Notice: •All transactions should take place in person with cash. Do not ship items and do not accept other payment methods.
•Never click links in an email that ask you to sign in to Kijiji. All "Your Kijiji account has expired" emails are fakes.
•Kijiji, eBay and PayPal do not offer buyer or seller protection for Kijiji items. Such emails are fakes.
•Click here to read more Kijiji safety tips.

HelpAboutPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseContact Kijiji
Copyright © 2013 eBay International AG

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Ryan: This kind of thing happens all the time with online sellers at kijiji, craigslist and other similar websites. I'm not justifying it, though, but once you understand the seller's perspective, it may be easier to move beyond the experience which has left a bad taste in your mouth.

Online sellers often get barraged with all sorts of email inquiries and offers. Meetings dates are set up, then the buyer cancels, and so on. This is frustrating for the sellers, so they tend to act upon the first guaranteed sale they get. Guaranteed means somebody showing up asap with money in hand, regardless of whatever arrangements you've made with the seller.

I've been there myself, brother, let me tell you. Bottle gets listed on kijiji, I approach seller, we agree on a price and a meeting time and place, then the seller emails to say he sold the bottle to someone else. Of course, maybe the seller just used me and my offer as a freebie appraisal. Then again, it may be just be the anxiousness of some sellers to sell when the chance becomes apparent (we're back to the money on the spot scenario).

Either way, it comes off as unfair, and it is, but I don't think we buyers will ever change the practice, since we're almost always dealing with amateur dealers (if that oxymoron makes sense). Professional dealers -- and they are on online sales sites -- understand that building long-term relationships with collectors is better in the long run for their businesses. Therefore, these kinds of dealers will hold onto to stuff for you, as long as you live up to your end of the bargain by showing up and not haggling them to death. Sometimes it's wise to buy something they got for you, even if you don't really want it, just to keep them looking for you. Anyhow, it takes time to build up a network of professional sellers who can supply you what you collect. Be patient and know that it will happen. Ignore those sellers who frustrate you with their short-term thinking.

AlexD

Reaction score
"A deal is a deal, until a better one strikes" [;)]
http://www.sjtrek.com/trek/rules/

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mctaggart67

Meetings dates are set up, then the buyer cancels, and so on.

I can't speak in terms of a bottle deal but I put Packer tickets on Craig's list once and tried to sell them to a game the next weekend. I was trying to be conscientious, so, I gave everybody a number. You are the first person to contact me, so, you have first crack at the tickets. You're the third person, so two people are ahead of you. Later, some prospective buyers said I'll give you more than you're asking for if you let me come buy them right now. I replied that it was a generous offer, but they could get them for my asking price if they just wait a day or two. Then the top buyer asked me to drive about twenty minutes away to meet him at a set time. I drove there, arrived early and he wasn't there (and never came). I called, texted and waited over an hour with no reply. Long story short, the tickets went to the 12th person that had inquired.

The lesson I learned. Take the cash the first chance you get. However, I would be completely honest with people. I would tell them, the tickets go to the first person that hands me the money. So, if you want them, you'd best hurry.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky