Now I can't find it

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Seen a post awhile back about bottle repair, in this case I have a Amberina Crute with a inside crack about 1/2 inch long. Real close to applied handle, so I am thinking when they applied handle this happened. At any rate where it is does't seem like it was droped. as the handle would have broken first. Or somebody threw something at it.
Somebody suggest cutting Epoxey with something else and try to get it inside the crack. I need to find the person or post as this thing is worth $500.00.
Thanks for any help of course I will pratice first.
Dave

oz-riley

Reaction score
You would need to dissolve some Epoxy Resin in Acetone and soak the cracked area in this mixture, this will get the Epoxy Resign into the crack and the acetone should evaporate when left to dry out.
But who to talk to for a more 'propa tellin of ow its dun' you would need to talk to IRISH, he is up on all this.

Thanks
Chris

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Thanks Chris that should work. I have fooled with just expoxy and even made a horses leg with it and plaster. But never been able to hide a crack, I will give it a try, almost had that cruet sold at $375.00 as is. Only thing the lady carried about is it matched her room.
Dave

IRISH

Reaction score
David, the stuff to use is a UV curing glass adhesive, the brand here is called "crystal clear" you can fiddle around with it in a room with no sunlight (or any other source of UV) and when you get it right put it in the sun.
A drop of this glue in a Mil or so of Acetone is a good start, you may need to thin it out even more for some cracks. The way to tell if it's fixable is to put a drop of Acetone on it and if it gets in to the crack then it's open enough to fix.
This stuff gives the best results in cracks I've ever seen, I've tried a few things too [;)] .

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Thanks Irish will get to work on that real soon. I don't hide it from customer, just mark as is but maybe they can't find the as is now I have your receipt. Anyway thanks a lot I have been trying a long time to do something right.
Dave

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Irish, just curious, here in the states they have/had some outfits that will repair cracks in windshields. Are the chemicals they use likely the same as to that you refer? I realize their procedure is different due to windshield glass laminate, they often use a vaccum cup to remove air moisture before applying epoxy. I wonder if it could work with bottles[8|]

IRISH

Reaction score
norm, we have those windshield repair people here too, I can't find out what they use [:mad:] , It should work with some cracks in bottles. I have considered getting them to fix a crappy bottle for me and then cutting out the repair and testing the stuff to find out what it is, anyone here know to save me the time and effort ? [;)] .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp