Haunted Collectible?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
So what "time" was I born into, 25 or so years more recently than you, Jim? Was it not the age of science and technology as well? I am not trying to argue or anything, but despite what I wanted to believe back when I was 19 (essentially identical to your stated position here), there really aren't reasonable scientifically substantiated answers for absolutely everything that one can experience. Not yet, anyway.

We both know that you are highly intelligent and aware, but conscious, fallible, subjective, and malleable human awareness of the universe does not constitute or comprise the entirety of objective reality. I've written well-rounded (and sober, heh) manifestos about this general subject but won't share them here, not yet anyway. Believers don't like having their foundations shaken, and just the same nonbelievers don't like their "logical" foundations shaken either. At the core it is all the same thing; a matter of belief and faith. It is almost funny that despite being at the opposite ends of the spiritual spectrum, both diametrically opposed sides are guilty of the same "logical" fallacy. Both sides "believe" in something, or some idea, that can't be definitively proven. This is why I abandoned Atheism. It made me just as ignorant and closed-off to incongruous information as my religiously or spiritually faithful Judeo-Christian compatriots are to unfamiliar ways of spiritual thinking (or a lack thereof).

I didn't relate other past experiences that in retrospect may have been subconsciously triggered/cultured by prior knowledge or understanding; even subconscious. A bullet, by nature, carries unique subjective psychological and emotional implications for everyone who knows what a bullet is. The imagination can make manifest many potent "experiences"; I've been there and metacognitively debunked most of my "supernatural" experiences, but a few are beyond explanation given what we (or I) know presently. I still don't believe in spirits, ghosts, heaven/hell/afterlife or any of that crap. I do know that my friend and I experienced something so obnoxiously unusual that there is no reasonable explanation for it; save there being some troglodytic misshapen "Igor" of a freak being kept chained secretly in a hidden space somewhere under the roof of the house which hasn't been occupied (by non-freaks) since the 1970s. Deep in the woods at 3 AM with the closest property being that of my friend, I sincerely doubt someone was playing an elaborate prank on us.

Stuff like this makes me firmly Agnostic. I really don't know, and anyone who presumes to know the true reality of the universe in it's entirety is full of BS. When I have people way less intelligent try to preach to me I laugh silently but am respectful. Usually they are great people who I like a lot, but... Sometimes; or even most of the time, I wish that I was as dumb as them and believed that the world was just as black/white and cut/dry as they think it is. Doesn't matter if they are born-again or militant atheists. They "have it figured out" and can move on without worrying about the uncertainties. Life would be a helluvalot easier if I could do that.

tftfan

Reaction score
[8|] Had a few GOOD ones myself, some alone, some not alone. Sure makes ya wundur.

tftfan

Reaction score
On the lighter side.... this is my best SQUATCH pic. [:D] she is gonna hurt me[;)]

DA05B1A0E62B4B7B9821907F64B7521A.jpg

Attachments

• DA05B1A0E62B4B7B9821907F64B7521A.jpg
    DA05B1A0E62B4B7B9821907F64B7521A.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 85

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Could definitely see that dream being manifested from subconscious thought. Civil War was on my mind, well had to be since I got the bullets that day. A little bit weird, but explainable. Other things are not so.

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
I am a Christian and I believe in it 100% even though I am majoring in a scientific field. I do not think that makes me ignorant. I think that means I have experienced God in a way that sadly some.of you have not. I wish everyone could and I hope in due time your able. I am not trying to get into a debate. Just felt like I needed to say that much.

I had something odd happen to me after my grandfather passed away and I use to think.it was his ghost, but now I think it may have been my emotional state.
Anyway, right after I found out he passed away I was in bed upset, my husband (ex now) had left for work about 30 minutes earlier. I was on the edge of the bed facing away from the wall. The bed was in the middle of the room. All of a sudden something slammed on the side of the bed, just like someone was hitting it with the palm of their hand. I jumped and turned over.....nothing there. It hit the side of the bed three times.

I was my grandfather's favorite and my dad thinks he wanted to play a trick on me one last time. Haha

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Religion shouldn't be involved here because every religion, even the some odd hundreds of denominations of Christianity are different in belief.
You can believe what you want to believe, ghosts, heaven, hell, purgatory, reincarnation etc., or choose your own path.
I'd just prefer religion be kept out of the equation.
Eric

epackage

Reaction score
Yes Plumb you too were born into the scientific age...[;)] My need for 'proof' has nothing to do with religion, my original response wasn't based in any religious or non-religious beliefs(except for 800 year old people) because I don't equate seeing or believing in ghosts with religion anymore than I equate seeing Bigfoot as being relgious. I think most times the subconscious plays a major roll in what people see, hear and are otherwise affected by including myself, if they are considered religious by those experiencing them I have no issue with that.

I was born and raised as a Catholic, went thru it all including CCD classes until I was 12. Then a switch was flipped in my head that made me question the things I was being taught regarding God and faith, it had a profound effect on me and the way I viewed everything because accepting things based on 'faith' no longer made sense to me. Suddenly religion itself wasn't much different than the magicians that I grew up watching on tv, with just a little bit of faith I could believe the womanWAS being sawn in half and that the elephant HAD disappeared when the sheet was pulled down from its rigging.

Having said that I would never try to discourage someone from having faith because I don't see anything wrong with, it just doesn't work for me because I have the need to question all things. How, what, where, when and why became my new religion at a young age. The one thing I do find kind of odd is the people who do believe in a specific religion but feel the need to cast aspersions on other peoples religious beliefs, and the lengths many have gone to to do harm to those who have a different faith from them. I know of no religion that teaches the kind of violence we have seen for thousands of years, yet it continues today on this big blue marble.[;)]

Looking back, I can honestly say as a kid I had similar experiences to some of the stories told here, as an adult I can now say that those 'happenings' were easily embellished and skewed by my own mind and those of my childhood cohorts who may have been with me when the supernatural happened...[:D]

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well-put everybody, glad my drunken statement didn't make the thread devolve into a nasty brawl. [:D]

As it stands now, I respect and value the faith others have in their beliefs, though with some reservations based upon basic constitutional rights of all people to pursue life, liberty, and happiness provided it doesn't infringe upon the same pursuits of others, and honestly wish I had some faith too (I'm presently interested in an amorphous sort of deism). The human perspective, even for Einstein, is as ignorant relative to the reality of the universe as an ant is ignorant relative to the awareness of the human organism. Science, as a product of humanity, is similarly constrained. I do not respect people when they claim that their unique, fallible, personal understanding of something as complex as the universe constitutes the entirety of immutable cosmic truth, to the exclusion of all other people who believe differently. Anyone who goes around treating people like idiots if they aren't a militant Atheist, or preaching that you will go to hell if you aren't a good Catholic (born and raised), or aren't born-again and don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior (and treat you like dirt because of it) are little different in my mental categorization than Jihadists who think every modern westerner is a morally corrupt tool of Satan.

Regarding inexplicable "supernatural" human experience, as a rule I believe that there is a logical explanation for it all (even if humanity hasn't discovered it yet), but it does not exclude the possibility of other dimensions or planes of existence. The vast majority of such incidents can be explained with elements of the science of psychology and sociology, but I've seen and read enough to believe (versus definitively know) that some things are beyond explanation given our present scientific understandings of things.

Similar to the bullets (their subconscious potency, anyway), I have these 3 tri-lobate, wonderfully interesting little stones with similar polished angles/facets, which were found over a number of years in different locations. I had seen an article describing morphologically identical ones in a 1997 archaeology periodical suggesting they were Native American ritual/game stones, so over time the stones came to hold great ancient and spiritual potency. They seemed to emanate an energy so strong that holding them or looking at them for too long made me particularly uncomfortable. [:D] I spent many hours researching them and Native American symbolism, even had a professor assisting me in the quest. I determined that they symbolized a snake (based upon the verified symbolism of the trilobate motif), which to the native american represented a bridge between the earth and sky, or earthly and spiritual realms.

Well, 2 years ago I discovered that they are worn-down ceramic (looked like a greenstone) "mill stars" used in a tumbler for de-burring metal castings, and weren't likely from before the 1900s. Found out by tracking down the author in the 1997 publication who learned the truth sometime after he submitted the article, and then I verified it through other sources. Pretty funny, albeit disappointing, but a superb example of the power of the subconscious and "suggestion".

So, although I take most similar situations, or tales of spirits and ghosts with a big 'ole rock of salt, especially after that episode, I still believe the mechanics of the universe hold some pretty damn extraordinary potential for the presently-inexplicable. It may seem presumptuous or arrogant, but I believe we are but ignorant little insects compared to the complexity of "The All".

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp