How old are you ????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I must say that I find this thread to be an interesting phenomenon. I suspect that the relative anonymity of the Internet alters the normal patterns of conversation, breaks down some normal reservations.

This is the sort of personal information men who are casual acquaintances usually do not exchange face-to-face. Try to imagine 5 or 6 middle-aged men standing around at a bottle-show and someone for no apparent reason asks, "How old are you?" Then try to imagine some of the men volunteering an answer. It just doesn't happen in the normal course of conversation.

I am interested in social psychology, and this seems to be an anomaly. Here is a handout I prepared for a class I offered a few years ago. It deals with patterns of conversation which predominate in each gender, but I think you'll see the connection. Tell me what you think.

----------------------Harry Pristis

RAPPORT TALK AND REPORT TALK​
Do women and men really communicate differently? Part of the answer seems to lie in the difference between what may be termed private and public speaking. More women feel comfortable doing "private speaking" while more men feel comfortable doing "public speaking." Another way of describing these differences is by using the terms rapport talk and report talk.

For most women, the language of conversation is primarily a language of rapport: a way of establishing connections and negotiating relationships. Emphasis is placed on displaying similarities and matching experiences. From childhood, girls criticize peers who try to stand out or appear better than others. Women feel their closest connections at home, or in settings where they feel at home--with one or a few people they feel close to and comfortable with--in other words, during private speaking or rapport talk.

For most men, talk is primarily a means to preserve independence and negotiate and maintain status in a hierarchical social order. This is done by exhibiting knowledge and skill, and by holding center stage through verbal performance such as storytelling, joking, or imparting information. From childhood, men learn to use talking as a way to get and keep attention. So, men are more comfortable speaking in larger groups made up of people they know less well--in the broadest sense, public speaking or report talk.

adapted from
YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND
by Deborah Tannen, Ph.D.
William Morrow and Company, Inc. New York, 1990

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Well, Hi, "KIDS" ! I'm 67 - haven't dug in a while, just found this marvelous board while searching for possible info/markets for the boxes of bottles I've got stored - apt. too small to display more than a few, getting ready to resign my role as the family "curator and archivist". I know I'm going to enjoy hearing the stories of people's current digs and finds. I also have a lot of Wheaton commemoratives (Please! Don't hit me! I got them cheap at flea markets.)
Hi, Harry! Interesting post! I don't normallly tell my age - just the excitement of the moment. I don't even tell the other "mature" ladies how old I am.

drjhostetters

Reaction score
I'm so old, my cousin said my birth certificate expired on my last birthday! Actually I am 18 years old...I'm just trapped in this 57 year old body! Does anyone remember 18? Using the family car on Friday nights and draggin' the gut? (And gas was only 17 cents a gallon?) Stopping at Bob's drive-in for a burger and coke (in 6 oz. bottles with a straw in it) and the girl roller skating up to your window with the tray you had to roll your window up about a 1/4 of the way so she could hang it on? $1.00 a carload drive-ins? AH...for the "good old days".[:)]

Been bottle hunting for 30 or so years of those 57..(got a late start..but hooked for life now!)

[8|]

IRISH

Reaction score
HA! I'm the youngest one here by far [:D] I'm 25 and been collecting as long as I can remember (only been collecting bottles 8 or 10 years though).
This is me with a seal bottle I found last february (photo by oz-riley)

Ec87317.jpg

Attachments

• Ec87317.jpg
    Ec87317.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 80

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Well If I have to tell then I am older than Harry. and I thought he was old to have so much knowledge. And we can't get bottles as old as all of you as no one came here untill the 1840's. Think Lewis & Clarke got here around 1803 and they probally cast no bottles aside.
Okay I am 63
Dave

deepwoods

Reaction score
Im 46 and plan to remain so indefinatly or until further notice..

deepwoods

Reaction score
P.S- Harry I like youre eloquent analysis-quite on the money I think.I post occaisonally on a political discussion site and you wouldnt believe-or maybe you would-at how people under the cover of anonymity'let fly'."Sign of the times"?

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Is 'age' really an issue with people today as it used to be? I for one, have never been uncomfortable about anyone knowing my age; and it hasn't seemed to be an issue within my circle of friends. I agree, that the anonymity of the net allows for some 'strange bedfellows', who might say/write things they would never face to face. But as for this group I think perhaps there's something different about individuals who look forward to digging privys, old homesteads and dumps; risking lacerations, bugbites, posion ivy, snakes, skunks, wolves, bears, moose, aligators, crocs, scorpions, ticks, heat stroke, pneumonia, sunburn, frostbite, buckshot, arrest, ridicule by neigbors, sympathy from family members, ALL FOR SOMETHING SOMEONE THREW OUT AS TRASH! That something is our adventureous spirit, willingness to take risks, thirst for discovering a little more about what we don't know, or even need to know, and a genuine admiration and comrade' with others like us![;)] So who the hell cares how old we are? I want to know how old that next bottle I find is!!!![8D]

preditor

Reaction score
Born aug 19th 39 years ago
thanks to everyone who responded to my post about photos and hometowns
but there are still alot of empty spaces come on folks lets see those mugs and hometowns.
Preditor

oz-riley

Reaction score
Last time I checked I was sure I was eighteen but after checking my calender I have found that I have in fact just turned 35 [:D]

Qo40167.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi