Johann Hoff - Unusual Embossing?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cmulliganNWI

Reaction score
I picked up this Johann Hoff a while back. The embossing seems peculiar to me. I haven't seen a ton of these but I know they are fairly common. The ones that I have seen have a much bolder embossing while the embossing on this bottle is fainter and has the appearance of being done by hand. Almost looks like a soldering iron does on metal. Anyone ever seen a Hoff with this embossing or embossing like this done by other bottlers? Anyone have a guess on a year for this one?

Thanks!

Chris

25C4EF7458574A14B2AEAAE24CAD5703.jpg

Attachments

• 25C4EF7458574A14B2AEAAE24CAD5703.jpg
    25C4EF7458574A14B2AEAAE24CAD5703.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 145

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all of you, and especially Chris.

This bottle is an excellent example of early half-round chisel embossing. I would like to have it in my traveling bottles for the illustrative condition it represents. The venting in the shoulder of a bottle of his shape is difficult in any bottle, because of the trapped air outside the parison glass, when the final blow is made. The glass lifts up from the parison shape and the air can’t get out of the way in that area. And can even make a dip in the shoulder because it couldn’t get out. Some times the use of knife vents on the mold parting surface will leave little tits of glass evidence on the mold seam lines in that area.

Secondly this lettering was done with a chisel having a small half round angled tip. So the trapped air in those letters would have to be vented with drilled holes in almost every letter to let the air out in the final blow. Obviously this bottle was made earlier than the Number 70 drills, that were used later in time. The drill looks like it was almost a 1/16’ diameter. These holes were backed up on the outside of the mold with a ¼†dia drill to let the air out. Later in mold making a Mr. Kelley, in Eighty Four Pennsylvania, developed a two spindle drilling machine that would make the ¼†hole first and the # 70 drill next, in the same operation sequence. The mold half being held on a fixture that could be twisted around for each vent hole requirement.

Chris, If you are selling this one, please let me know. It is a nice example of a bottle mystery to some. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Vent holes, that's what I was thinking Red. It looks also like the letters could have been cleaned also. That's why they generally look kind of faint.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
No Eric, I think the bottle salesman or the customer just specified the use of a chisel size that was too small. The glass would look clean but the vent holes made it look ridiculous.
I have an early 3-1 oil bottle that they hae vented the letters to hell and back-on.
RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown