Codd bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Is anyone into Codd bottles? Are they good collectables? And what is an average price for them. I've been seeing a few at some local shops and they seem interesting.
Thanx!

epackage

Reaction score
I'm interested in one from Paterson if you can find it, I'll give you $100 for it

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a few of them, only one here in FL, I will get it out tomorrow and see what is embossed on it. I remember that it has a sort-of cobalt color. to it.

They were invented by Codd and I think that was in Englznd. Even though I read about them, I don't remember all the details. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I looked up my Florida located Codd Bottle. It is cobalt blue and embossed vertically with two letterings of "/ RICHMOND BOTTLING Co |" with a line under the "o" of Co. The bottom is embossed with "/ R.B.Co " with that Co "o" is set high. There is also some embossing on the heal "/ D.P.I.D. " with a "/4 " over the (I.D.) The marble is there but the sealing ring is missing.
A neat bottle in my cupboard of bottles. RED Matthews

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Red,
Any chance of a photo as cobalt Codd bottles can be very valuable.
David

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Rich,

There are thousands of different codd bottles from countries around the world with most being from the U K and their colonies. U S codd bottles are generally scarce especially the early ones from the 1870,s.

David

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx for the info people. I just might be getting my first Codd soon.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Some more Codd information:

Click on the Icon above to visit my Forum all about Hiram Codd - his bottle & all known patents.

CODDS §TUFF.

This type of bottle takes its name from the inventor and patentee Hiram Codd, whom in 1872 patented a bottle for use in the aërated water trade. The bottle was unique; it would never need a cork inserted to form the closure because trapped in it's neck it had a glass ball or marble which could not leave the neck chamber, or perish. This allowed the bottle to be used many times without the expenditure of a cork. The bottle was filled under gas pressure forcing the marble into the lip where it met an India rubber washer retained in a groove. The marble was forced against the washer forming a perfect air tight seal.

This invention was a great success and was adopted by nearly all companies manufacturing mineral waters at the time. The patent gave Hiram Codd some protection from people stealing his ideas but many marble-in-the-neck bottles appeared as glassworks realised they had to manufacture this type of bottle due to increased demand.
This popularity and competition provides a rich legacy for the UK mineral water bottle collector. It has been estimated there are about 250 relevant patents registered between 1868 and 1907 but as well as variations of closures this includes lips, washer fittings, manufacturing tools, openers and filling methods. They were mainly manufactured in two sizes, capacity being 10oz and 6oz (splits) but you can find dumpy codds, jumbo codds, even giant codds whose capacities are all different.
Rylands, a Barnsley Glass Bottlemaker introduced the "anti-theft" codd. This was an aqua bottle whose top or lip was made of a coloured glass to identify one particular company. Thanks to Dan Rylands, bottle collectors can find codds with blue, amber, brown, green and even red lips ! Other manufacturers produced codds with coloured marbles, and yet others provided codds whose glass was a colour other than aqua.
The only real problems with this design were:
The bottles were costly to produce and were rarely recycled as children smashed them to get free marbles.
As legislation reared it's head hygiene became an issue. In the 1930’s Public Health Authorities complained that Codds and stoneware ginger-beer bottles were too difficult to clean and manufacturers were encouraged to produce simpler shaped bottles.
As a result the Crown Top and Internal Thread bottles were developed to address these problems, this hastened the demise of the globe-stoppered bottle.
In February 1887 Hiram Codd died but he left a lasting legacy in the form of his invention, The Codd Bottle and a phrase that is still used today "Codd's Wallop".

RED M

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky