Owens Illinois codes in thermoset closure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rd1550

Reaction score
Have you encountered discernible Owens brands in Bakelite closures under pulp/poly liner? Did you assume they were applicable to the closure and not the container?

epackage

Reaction score
To be honest you might be the only person on the planet who cares about them. Finding an original stopper for a bottle is nice but the details on bakelite screw cap for some hair tonic or medicine bottle isn't something I can imagine anyone giving a second thought about...

rd1550

Reaction score
I see your point, I broached the subject as it was the only branding on a fairly unique bottle. I've not encountered an Owens bottle without an O-I logo on the base and wondered if it was common.

zecritr

Reaction score
interesting thought,going to have to look into that one,I prefer earlier meds but some of the later ones which do have those...of course have to find the ones with caps still with also to see :)
Is there anything to distinguish them from the differing era's?

sunrunner

Reaction score
some caps,are cool,the listeren has a nete monogram on it,and some bakolit color caps will get a marbuling afecked to them.

rd1550

Reaction score
Several aspects of the bottle/closure are still unclear to me and I will try to fill in the blanks. The process by which the info was assimilated ...this guy talked to that guy who emailed so and so, meant no one involved was privvy to the entire effort. i don't doubt the reults, just want to understand how it came about. I'd like to know when the Hamlet NC plant went into operation. Some questions about stippling and when it actually began and what it might portend. Things that wouldn't interest most need validating. l was surprised at the reaction this received by people who are proactive, knowledgeable bottle guru's. Of the people I enlisted for help one person had a similar situation. In the reams written on bottle id I found nothing to suggest codes in closures might pertain to the container. Could be nobody cares???

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown