What a glass blower would make at the end of a long hard day....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Thought you guys might like to see this one which is releevnt to the conversation...
have seen spattered, but never seen a swirled version before...

P1140053_zps7c81db6a.jpg

Regards
Mark

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
These hats are usually thoght to be friggers as well, but I do tend to think there wsn't so much personal making of little things for the individual glassblower's own profit as the books tend to make out.
There is a school of thought that the glassmakers at the end of a log day would tending to be "making".......straight for the local pub to get a cool glass of cider or ale down their throat!!![;)]
Also I'm sure the glasshouse foremen would want their cut of watever sales might be made from these productions. So if there is any definitive evidence to this practice it would be great to confirm it one way or another.

earlyglass

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: earlyglasscollector

Thought you guys might like to see this one which is releevnt to the conversation...
have seen spattered, but never seen a swirled version before...

P1140053_zps7c81db6a.jpg

Regards
Mark

Cool hat. If it were red & white glass you would have----[:D]

CA37015C70D84FABAAE12805EE9991AD.jpg

Attachments

• CA37015C70D84FABAAE12805EE9991AD.jpg
    CA37015C70D84FABAAE12805EE9991AD.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 152

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Yes, very good.....fortunately there are no stars in it anywhere, otherwise then it would be the stars and stripes!....[:D]

earlyglass

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Have had some discussions on the UK forums this morning re "friggers", and the conclusion for me is that I have to change my mind and admit this may well have been the practice. The reason I've changd my mind being, and it is rather a simple and perhaps silly proof,but works for me....

Over here in UK (not sure if it is the same US?) we have a slang usage or colloquialism referring to someone "frigging about" or "frigging around". We might also use "frigging" or "friggin" as an alternative to the "F" word....(hop you guys understand all this?).

Which is all very intresting but I have always pondered what and if there is a connection.

A good friend of mine came up with the scenario of a foreman at the glassworks saying " are you lot frigging about again"? i.e admonishing them for wasting their time/the company's time making friggers, rather than what they shold be doing....?

- which to me makes perfect sense, perfectly links with and fits the modern usage of the term yet also implies that the glassblowers DID in fact use their time making these friggers, and overuse of the practice could have been a problem. It makes so much sense to me and fits the social historical scenario so well that I am happy to accept this as proof of the practice. Of course if someone can point out to me diaries or accounts referring to this practice also then that is the icing on the cake....!

Ok I'm a frigging believer!
[:D]

earlyglass

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

3 On the bottom of these Gemmel bottles a large irregular shaped footing was applied to allow the bottle an attempt to stand on its own. Very rarely was the gaffer successful in this endeavor so most of the time these creations were forced to lay on their sides versus standing upright.

C415ADC42CF149A7A64F5436B190DB2F.jpg

Beautiful piece, Steve. Is that the pontil scar I see around that dot? What type pontil was used?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora