Mammy Soda Reproduction ????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tangomango

Reaction score
Picked up this 60 oz. Mammy Soda bottle Saturday. Thought it to be a Great find. After getting it home, there are a couple red flags as to being original or reproduction. Thought someone may have more info. on these Mammies. First, the bottom has NO bottle manufacturer marking or coding what so ever and the "Mammy" is in smaller block letters then I have seen in pictures of other Mammies. Secondly, looking at the embossed Mammy on the front, her top of the apron (bust section) is smooth while others pictured have a hatch pattern. I guess what is disappointing got this from a reputable bottle collector whom I have purchased many bottles from in the past. :((

9BCE4930A05E46BDB7E3B768BE051FF7.jpg

Attachments

• 9BCE4930A05E46BDB7E3B768BE051FF7.jpg
    9BCE4930A05E46BDB7E3B768BE051FF7.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 278

epackage

Reaction score
I can't see spending the money to repro a bottle that sells for $15-20 on Ebay but I guess you never know...

melovebottle

Reaction score
I also bought my Mammy bottle at a bottle show. Later, a collector I spoke with, happened to mention that they were reproducing them. What "red flags" made you think it was a repro? I thought the lack of bottom surface wear might be an indication that the bottle was relatively new. I had never seen one and thought it was an interesting novelty. I posted a query on the Soda forum and was informed the Mammy sodas have been reproduced.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Sure is a strange bottle to reproduce but yeah that certainly looks like a repro. I think the one on Ebay is a repro as well, the other is too blurry to tell.

Snikt21

Reaction score
Thanks. The one tangomango posted and the Ebay one both have the "smooth"apron while the other one for sale has the "hatch pattern". Is the hatch one authentic ? I am new to bottles and am looking to purchase this for my Dad in Montreal who is ill and who always spoke of "getting a nickel and buying the big bottle of Mammy ."

Canadacan

Reaction score
Old thread but good topic!... Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:44 AM What proof is there that the Mammy was reproduced?...other than what melovebottle said: 'I also bought my Mammy bottle at a bottle show. [font="arial black,avant garde"]Later, a collector I spoke with, happened to mention that they were reproducing them.[/font] What "red flags" made you think it was a repro? I thought the lack of bottom surface wear might be an indication that the bottle was relatively new. I had never seen one and thought it was an interesting novelty. [font="arial black,avant garde"]I posted a query on the Soda forum and was informed the Mammy sodas have been reproduced.'[/font] Because a collector said they were?Lack of base wear dose not mean it's new.Who informed him they were reproduced? I'd like to be enlightened[:)] Also the lack of the crossed hatch detail dose not mean anything...does it?It not having bottle manufacturer marking or coding can be explained, maybe some were made by Dominion glass and some by Consumers, I would think Dominion though...they did not really start to use their mark until about the late 20's early 30'sI was able to find three marked with Dominion and three with no markings...one of which is the bottle posted at the beginning, it is the last bottle pictured. So are these last three bottles really reproduction? I never heard of that before but it's possible I suppose, but why do it with a bottle that has such a low value...maybe the buyers in that price range wont be suspecting? Mammy's with Dominion mark and crossed hatch[attachment=mammy-with D.jpg] Mammy's without Dominion mark and no crossed hatch[attachment=Mammy-no D.jpg]

Attachments

• 4bcc55ea84814a4faecefa56218b5142.jpg
    4bcc55ea84814a4faecefa56218b5142.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 254
  • e0b0502e3a894a53bcd5954f02d7daba.jpg
    e0b0502e3a894a53bcd5954f02d7daba.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 263

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There's no concrete evidence in the second photos but those bottles sure don't look right. The embossing is really crude and uneven, very hand-carved looking, which was extremely uncommon on bottles of that era but is very common on reproductions. Something seems off about the glass as well, but I can't put my finger on it. They just look very new. Might be able to get a better idea of it if I saw one in person.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes so hard to draw any real conclusion without bottle samples in hand. I think one of the members here is from Quebec and has a website dedicated to PQ bottles maybe he would know better. Here is a comparison of the first and last bottles pictured above. If it was a reproduction bottle you would think it'll be thin walled like the 70's one way glass. [attachment=Mammy bottle samples.jpg]

Attachments

• a047732d77b9481b9674b7a4d0a298d4.jpg
    a047732d77b9481b9674b7a4d0a298d4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 261

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu