Recent Flea/Yard Sale Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MiamiMaritime

Reaction score
I picked up a couple hemenway 42s last weekend too. Are they worth anything more than $1? I read that they made over a billion insulators. Cool looking with nice color.

BillinMo

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: MiamiMaritime

I picked up a couple hemenway 42s last weekend too. Are they worth anything more than $1? I read that they made over a billion insulators. Cool looking with nice color.

Most aqua or clear versions are extremely common and have no collector value. Look for embossing errors, amber swirls, unusual qualities like the extra-long drip points posted above. Florida had some lines using the smooth base version, too, and those can sell in the 20 dollar range.

But even if they're common, no reason you can't enjoy having some old insulators on your shelf.

nym9nyj7

Reaction score
429FC85716744203A7395B8DDA4B89E4.jpg

Sparrow, what is the tiny insulator to the right? How was it used?

sparrow75

Reaction score
nym9nyj7,

Honestly, i really don't know. But I do know that is a cd 102, and I'd guess it was used on telephone lines?
I'm sure Bill or others here could provide you with a ton of information about it.....so I'll sit back and learn with you!

BillinMo

Reaction score
Yes, the pony on the right is a telephone style, typically used on local lines. That one's a CD 106 but the CD 102 was used the exact same way.

The middle is a Hemingray 40, usually used on telegraph lines. Western Union made this their standard style from 1911 to somewhere around 1921.

The left side is what collectors usually call a "Johnny ball" but I have no idea where that name came from. They typically were used as a guy wire strain, like the photo linked here:
http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?id=63383352

Imagine if someone tried to support a pole using a solid wire anchored to the ground. It's not too hard to see that it would give the electricity a nice straight path to ground, creating shorts in the line. So the strain insulator (or Johnny ball) interrupted the guy wire. If you look at a modern-day pole, you'll probably see a porcelain strain-type insulator on the guy wire.

nym9nyj7

Reaction score
Sparrow - I meant to say "left" my bad! (At 26 I still seem to have problems with this whole left and right thing!!! :)

Billin, thanks for all the good info. That's pretty cool. I've never come across one of those tiny ones before. I'll have to keep my eyes pealed...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac