Anyone have info on dating KERR bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thefuller3

Reaction score
I've looked around and can't find any substantial information to help me out here. I'm trying to date a Kerr bottle, it has a paper label on it but I believe the bottle is too recent to match the lable thus making it a knock off. Any help would be appreciated!! From top to bottom, left to right it reads.
KERR * (star)
P2 94

241C34CA87B149CF812EEB4A2F9915E1.jpg

Attachments

• 241C34CA87B149CF812EEB4A2F9915E1.jpg
    241C34CA87B149CF812EEB4A2F9915E1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 108

ironmountain

Reaction score
From: http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks-2/ halfway down or so.

Kerr………………Kerr Glass Manufacturing Company [ "Corporation" after 1927], Portland, Oregon (1904-1912, offices only); Los Angeles, CA (1919-1992, offices only); manufacturing plants located at Altoona, KS; Sand Springs, OK; Huntington, WV [this plant closed December 7, 1982 - information from Mike Harmon] ; Santa Ana, CA; Plainfield, IL; Dunkirk, IN; Millville, NJ; [see more information on the Millville NJ site at the Whitall Tatum Company page], and Waxahachie, TX. The Kerr glass plants were bought by Ball Corporation in 1992, (Ball eventually left the glass container business altogether, and sold plants to Saint-Gobain Containers). Kerr did not actually make glass from 1904 to 1909, but had glass made for them by other companies. In 1909 their first plant opened at Altoona, KS. (Also see “A H Kâ€). The rights to the “Kerr†brand name, as used on currently-made fruit jars, was held by the Alltrista Corporation, and jars marked “Kerr†that were being produced [in 2006] were actually made by the Anchor Glass Container Corporation at their Winchester, Indiana factory location. Altrista Corporation is now [2012] known as the Jarden Corporation (Jarden Home Brands). Modern jars with the “Kerr†brand name embossing are sold (along with “Ball†jars) through Jarden. See entries on “Ball†and the “Anchor†logo for the “Anchor GlassContainer Corporation†on page one.

thefuller3

Reaction score
Not sure that really helps me date the bottle... That's normally the first place I look.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's late, that's all I can say for sure. I forget when all those bumpy things (stipeling or whatever they're called?) [8|]
Somewhere in the 40's I think, it's not my area of interest so I'm probably no help either.

thefuller3

Reaction score
Well that helps a little, I know the Kerr bottles probably aren't that awesome anyways. It has a Flying U Rye Whiskey Forsyth, Montana label on it is why I was curious. I'm more interested in knowing if that bottle was actually from the same time period although I haven't found much info on the bottler either. Just that a reverse glass sign of theirs sold for $21k a couple of years ago? Anyways thanks for the help guys!!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey fuller,

The stippling on the base places it mid to late 20th Century. Perhaps not such a small photo, and additional photos of the complete bottle might better illustrate what you are trying to find...

stippliedbase.jpg
Stippling or Knurling.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The stippling shown here wa done with a hand stippling tool and hammer. I have pictures of two hand stippled - one done in 1048 and this one now - dated 1959 - and one machine wheel stippled method dated 1957.

I think I have one or two hand stippling tools in my Mold Makers Tool Box - the box belonged to the best male friend, I ever had in my 83+ years. Mr. Norm Whitling He was well known for his mold making skills through life and we became friends when they made him the Mold Shop Manager in a Penn. shop. I spent many hours telling him as much as I could about mold making, mold metal applications, and it turned into a lasting friend ship of both of our families. I miss him in my life today. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac