Nuked or Not. Inquiring minds want to know.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
O.K., as a continuation regarding artificially colored glass, my question is: In your opinion, have any of these 4 items been artificially color altered (Nuked, Heated, Stained, etc.) or are they all SCA Sun Colored Amethyst, color enhanced by exposure to U.V. Rays or Sun Light?

On the Left is an ECONOMY JAR I've owned for at least 30 years purchased at a farm sale. Next is a WAW-WAW sauce bottle I bought about 25 years ago in an antique shop in Orange, California. Third is a WAW-WAW I have had at least 15 years, it is only lightly SCA. Fourth is a pontiled Barber bottle I have had close to 30 years, made that color, on purpose, no signs of altering, documented for years as being made in this color.

I am sincerely interested in HONEST opinions.

4C7B765557E84F24824CCBBBD0079D6F.jpg

Attachments

• 4C7B765557E84F24824CCBBBD0079D6F.jpg
    4C7B765557E84F24824CCBBBD0079D6F.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 66

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I would have said the Barber was Nuked, only because of its dark color, plus I know very little about Barber bottles. The others look fine by me, I have seen a lot of SCA glass and your first three pics is what it looks like. by the way I have personally known of a person in Stockton who has been U.V.ing glass for the last forty years in a lightbox lined with aluminum foil.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts
. by the way I have personally known of a person in Stockton who has been U.V.ing glass for the last forty years in a lightbox lined with aluminum foil.
I used to own one, back in the 1960s when SCA bottles sold like purple colored glass [8|] and it works great.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I collect beers & sodas from coastal NJ towns, so if I ever see a nuked one of those, I will consider it an altered variant.. if I need one I'll try, but I won't pay more for it than a natural one.. same goes with a tumbled one.. the closer they resemble the day they were born, the more I like them, and the more they are worth to me.

If, on the other hand, the bottle was worthless to begin with.. more power to the nuker..!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The problem Charlie is when the nuker takes, say the third bottle on Jims photo, and turns it into the second bottle in Jims photo. Nobody can tell that it has been NUKED, so as I said if you dont go ridiculously dark it doesnt really matter.....It may be a shame but the fact is there, you cannot always tell a nuked bottle from a non nuked one, the same goes for pro cleaned bottles.....

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well all I'm saying is if your a serious bottle collector, you got to know your chicken [8|]

cobaltbot

Reaction score
They look fine to me Jim, I've had naturally dark SCAs that I found as a kid and still find, especially Whistle sodas. Those Economy jars all always purple.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu