Syrup glass - what and where?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carling

Reaction score
Does the name on this etched syrup glass ring a bell with anyone? I had no luck googling.

I'm not even sure what it says....... Albain's? Allain's?

And, of course, would like to know where it is from.

Rick

8D8F5A0C25104027B3D3A7BF271829A2.jpg

Attachments

• 8D8F5A0C25104027B3D3A7BF271829A2.jpg
    8D8F5A0C25104027B3D3A7BF271829A2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 47

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I also agree the spelling is Albain's, with the apostrophe indicating someone's name. You'd think there would be at least a few references to the name even if it was an obscure brand. But I have looked high and low and couldn't find a single one. However, during the course of my zig-zagging research, the word Alba popped up so I looked into it and found the following, which seems as crazy to me as it probably will everyone else. But, hey, maybe there's a connection of some kind no matter how wacko it might seem at the present.

Bob

Alba / Sugar / Birch

http://xrl.us/bpaxy4

Birch / Betula Alba

http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/bircom43.html

A beer, wine, spirit and vinegar are prepared from it in some parts of Europe. Birch Wine, concocted from this thin, sugary sap of the tree, collected from incisions made in the trees in March, honey, cloves and lemon peel being added and then the whole fermented with yeast, makes a very pleasant cordial, formerly much appreciated. From 16 to 18 gallons of sap may be drawn from one large tree, and a moderate tapping does no harm.

carling

Reaction score
It is definitely etched and not an acl....

Well thanks for trying, guys. Thanks much for your extra effort, Bob! I tried digging a little on the Alba connection you looked at, but I get too sidetracked clicking on the Jessica Alba links!

Rick

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky