Wish someone would bring their best bottle to Antiques Roadshow!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluebelle

Reaction score
I love to watch Antiques Roadshow - on tonight - but as long as I've watched it, never saw anybody bring a BOTTLE! Anybody ever see one? All sorts of glass, but no bottles. And not on any of the HGTV collector, flea market or appraisal shows either.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I did see some bottles on the British version of the Antiques Roadshow over the past weekend. There were a couple of decanters in cobalt blue and ruby-glass -- high-end pieces. The owner also had an embossed target-ball (embossed with the glassworks name) which the "expert" identified as something "you filled with water and threw at a fire." I was appalled.

My point is that this may be the reason we don't see more bottles -- lack of expertise on the Roadshow staff.

------------Harry Pristis

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
The owner also had an embossed target-ball (embossed with the glassworks name) which the "expert" identified as something "you filled with water and threw at a fire." I was appalled.

My point is that this may be the reason we don't see more bottles -- lack of expertise on the Roadshow staff.

Harry - This is so funny! How much research was done on that appraisal, I wonder?
Maybe the "expert" meant that they threw it up in the air, shot it and it exploded, covering the fire like a sprinkler[:D][:D][:D].

I bet that the expert had a wide range of prices for his taget ball(s), if he gave one at all.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I don't remember, Meech, what the appraisal was. It was substantial, though.

The fact that I don't remember the number suggests I wasn't surprised, one way or another, about the value ascribed.

Then again, it's easy to make mistakes if you haven't seen enough of them in-hand. I remember my mistaking an alcohol lamp reservior for a target ball.

--------Harry Pristis

deepwoods

Reaction score
I saw a self described "bottle digger"bring in a very nice ovoid salt-glazed jug. The appraiser was quite good I thought;he seemed to know quite a bit about the maker and gave some interesting history. I think he appraised the piece-which was rare-at over a thousand.I believe the show was from Rhode Island.

diginit

Reaction score
Howdy.I actually saw the show that Flaschenjager mentioned earlier.It WAS funny. I'm kinda glad theres not too much publicity though.I think that people would probably strip the earth bare if everyone thought they would find a $3,000.00 bottle. I hate to think that way. But greed is contageous,and too many people don't seem to care what they leave
behind,you know,The "Can't see it from my house " clause. Keep on diginit,then fillitin. [8D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp