seller disclosing bottle condition

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willieboy

Reaction score
There are several things that can happen to an old bottle after it is unearthed. Cleaning/tumbling is one of the most common steps one takes in restoring the bottle to as close to original condition as possible. Results can vary depending on the glass, and condition of the dug bottle. Regardless I think it is fair to say that tumbling by its nature removes some glass during the cleaning process. It is common to see bottles that have undergone some degree of cleaning to have this disclosed by a seller. My hat is off to the seller that makes this sort of disclosure to a potential buyer. Do you think it is proper to disclose that a bottle you put up for sale that it has been tumbled?

Another issue recently came to my attention that I would appreciate other collectors' opinions. There are a couple of e-bay listings that offer rather common Florida sodas. The catch is these bottles are some shade of amber as a result of being irradiated. The bottles are advertised as rare and the shade of amber is described. The listing does not state anywhere that the bottles have been radiated. Do you think a seller has an obligation to disclose that a bottle has been through a process that changes its original color?

Looking at it from the seller's side, whats the harm in radiating a $5.00 bottle if the change means it becomes attractive at $20.00 to someone? It is truely getting to be a "buyer beware environment". One has to wonder how many of the rare color high end bottles are the original color of the glass.

Our hobby has no set standards to guide us as to what should be disclosed. In the end that could be bad for the hobby and your investment in a bottle you pay an arm and a leg for because it is a seemingly unique color.

Thanks for your opinions on these issues.

Xaquin

Reaction score
I've never tumbled a bottle, but I always notify a buyer that they are buying a dug bottle that has been cleaned with small brass clippings and bar keepers friend on the inside and soap and a soft bristle toothbrush on the outside.

Just keeping it honest =)

epackage

Reaction score
Nuking the bottle and selling it as rare is a scumbag move, if you know your selling a bottle that has been tumbled you should disclose that info as well. The hobby doesn't need a written set of rules or standards, these are common sense issues that the scumbags avoid hoping to put more money in their greedy pockets. I agree the buyer should have an idea what they are spending their money on, but if it were up to me I'd punch every bottle nuker that tries to decieve buyers in the face...

willieboy

Reaction score
If you go to ebay and search under Fla bottles, you will find a Hanne Bros/Jacksonville, Fla crown top and a Kornahrens and Wedding/Jacksonville, Fla. hutch soda. Both are common sodas in their original aqua. Now they are amber and "rare". I hope the seller changes the description. I know better but someone else may not. If the fact is honestly disclosed then it is clearly up to the buyer. Of course the problem of having something like this in circulation is not the best thing in the world.

surfaceone

Reaction score
in the face...

Huevos.

benstiller1.jpg

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Yes the seller should disclose any alteration to a bottle including tumbling, irradiating, polished chips and resin repairs.

baltbottles

Reaction score
As serious collector. I highly dislike tumbled bottles and I will not buy them. I'd rather have a dug stained bottle then one that was altered by a non natural process. I don't like my antiques messed with plain and simple. If i bought a bottle advertised as mint and got a bottle that was tumbled I'd return it. So yes advertising that a bottle was tumbled or altered in any way is the correct thing to do.

Chris

ILUV2DIG

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Nuking the bottle and selling it as rare is a scumbag move, if you know your selling a bottle that has been tumbled you should disclose that info as well. The hobby doesn't need a written set of rules or standards, these are common sense issues that the scumbags avoid hoping to put more money in their greedy pockets. I agree the buyer should have an idea what they are spending their money on, but if it were up to me I'd punch every bottle nuker that tries to decieve buyers in the face...

I agree...it is TOTAL DECIET to nuke a bottle then outright lie just to make a quick buck. People that cheat others like that should be "slapped around."

FitSandTic

Reaction score
I have been tumbling bottles for over ten years and I always tell potential buyers if a bottle they are interested in has been tumbled. Like Chris said there are collectors who do not like the process, and from my experience it does give bottles a different type of gloss than a bottle that is in mint condition. I do not clean all of my finds that are stained especially my pontiled items. I clean crown tops and milk bottles for most part and most guys that collect those types of bottles like them clean as possible. Nuking bottles and selling them to unsuspecting customers is just wrong. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch these practices on ebay. It is sad because most of the people selling these bottles are collectors and should know better.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown