seller disclosing bottle condition

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Most irradiated bottles have spent time in a UV sterilizer that most doctors and dentists will have in their office, or used to have, I'm told that there are now regulations regarding this and there are special services that perform this for Dr.s now.

suzanne

Reaction score
Overtumbling leaves bottle with an un-natural windowpane surface. In fact I just looked at a couple thread's on this page that are perfect examples of what can happen. Don't go crazy with tumbling and take a good thing too far.

Purple bottles are a good example of what can happen if you live close to a nuclear reactor. That's why you should not live by them. What is a safe distance to live from a nuke? 300 miles, so if one blows up you have time to powder your face and race to your car before the radiation cloud arrive's.

willieboy

Reaction score
I don't find tumbling a bottle in itself as dishonest or necessarily a detraction from the bottle. Afterall, a tumble using an abrasive softer than the glass removes only stains, dirt and grime. I consider it a more agressive form of cleaning than a bottle brush and Barkeeper's friend but that's all. In many cses it enchances the beauty of the bottle in the eye of this beholder. Bottles in this tumbled condition are far different than those bottles that have been tumbled with aggressive abrasives. In most cases no one needs to disclose these bottles have been tumbled and in my humble opinion this sort of treatment devalues the bottle for collector purposes.

In Florida most of the irradiation is done by folks that have access to sterlization facilities that use radiation. A lot of chicken for grocery stores run through this sort of process. Some say the change on color is temporary and reversion will occur if placed in the sunlight. I don't know. The injustice is when irradiated bottles are passed off as rare colors to the unsuspecting.

I pick and choose the bottles I clean for my own collection. Some bottles respond nicely to a polish some are just not candidates for the process.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac