What the garden turned up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Tilled up a garden spot for my sister at her house last weekend, the place is on my maps as being a coopers mill in 1867, started turning up shards of old glass and pottery right off. Its right on the edge of a drop off to low ground and appears it was a burn pit back in the day.

Crazy color for a drakes!
[:(]
1_800x600.jpg

2_800x600.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool story, and sorry it wasn't a whole bottle but maybe you can educate me. How can you tell it's a Drakes? Are those bumps in the first picture unique to that bottle? Thanks.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It does have that Drakes or similar log look to it.
What would be worse, finding it melted or mulching it with the tiller? [8|][8|]

botlguy

Reaction score
It does appear to be a DRAKE'S but could POSSIBLY be one of several Log Cabin shaped BITTERS. a KELLY'S come's to mind. If it is a DRAKE'S, I think it is a 6 log. I'd have to have it in hand to know for sure.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Drakes makes the most sense but I did think of some of the others Jim. I would never guess on the 4, 5 ,6 log variants though. The 6 I think had the odder colors for the most part but I'm not sure or confident enough to say that out loud
The only pontil I saw (online) was also a 6.
What is your opinion as to logs and colors pontil and such?

botlguy

Reaction score
You are correct that the 6 logs have the widest array of color by far. If one looks at the corner logs, the 5 log has the logs offset or the side logs are slightly higher than the front & back. The 5 logs did have that dark reddish and / or tobacco amber coloration in some examples.

I have never personally seen a pontiled DRAKE'S, the dates of manufacture would put that in doubt. I do believe there were earlier similarly shaped cabins that are pontiled. I believe they are NOT word embossed. It is possible that the earliest DRAKE'S, perhaps sort of prototypes, were pontiled, until they went into production.

There is also the EXTREMELY RARE " XX/PLANTATION / BITTERS / 1862 that was made from the DRAKE'S patent. Please don't tell me it's THAT one.[X(][X(]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There is also the EXTREMELY RARE " XX/PLANTATION / BITTERS / 1862 that was made from the DRAKE'S patent. Please don't tell me it's THAT one.
Or that... what was it... the Arabic?
There were quite a few, weren't there?
Hopefully but unfortunately, we may never know.[:eek:]

botlguy

Reaction score
The proper term for that one is "ARABESQUE" That is (I believe) the rarest of the "Standard" type DRAKE'S, there are "One of a kind" variants but they are "End of Day" or "Whimsy" pieces. At one time I had about 20 DRAKE'S in the collection but no ARABESQUE. I just never had the money when one was available. They did become available in auctions from time to time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado