evolution of Phillips' Milk of Magnesia?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Phillips milk of magnesia was apparently made over quite a long period. Does anyone know what the earliest bottles looked like. The one I have pictured here seems to be the earliest one I have. It is very light blue with a fairly large tooled lip. It is embossed PHILLIPS' MILK OF (trade mark) MAGNESIA. Below magnesia there is a word that is peened out of the mold. I think it originally read REGISTERED but is peened out pretty well.

Anyone found any Phillips that seem older than this one?

67B5572B0258404580C091735BEAFCD4.jpg

Hey..

I dug one like this, ice blue and BIM yet not as old as Ye olde prospector's....it had a lip chip, so it got traded off..
The hole I got it from remains un-finished for digging...the whole thing 25'x20' is 4 ' deep with newer trash..on top of older stuff. I got the phillips from as deep as I could get with a small diggerer...I intend to go back with an alminium shovel and get to the bottom..the 76 year old owner recalls tossing trash in this hole as a small child...he says it was an old trash hole then...His home is pre-1850 and sits 120' from this hole..I would expect to find yet older phillips bottles in there..

Bottleboy4419

Reaction score
I found a milk of magnesia not a very old one tho in a 50's dump and it still had the original cap on it and when i opened the cap it was so nasty there was just all this dried white crud on the inside

mabel

Reaction score
Beebs, Yes, that's an old one. I have one like it. But are we sure it is the same Phillips family? No surprise that milk of magnesia proved more popular than fish emulsion. Mabel

capsoda

Reaction score
Charles H. Phillips Chemical Company was in Connecticut. There are listings for a Christopher Hallowell Phillips in New York.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac