Help - looking for $50000 "percsciption" bottle to prove a point

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
OK - I just got into it with a bottel "expert" and am wondering if anyone knows of a cobalt blue medicine/cure that sold for $50,000.... was it BIM? I need a link to said bottle.

I haven't been here in forever, but I need to vent and you are the only ones that will understand!

Someone posted a picture of a local bottle on FB and asked info about it. It's a hutch, but the lip isn't in the picture.

First comment from said "expert":

DA Lee, look for a Date on the Bottom of the bottle also lookto see if the Bottle has seams on either sides of the Bottle and let me know

OK - reasonable question, right?
I wouldn't have asked it, but ok.

Reply - seams. no date.

D A I used to collect Bottles . If your Bottle has seems on the sides it's a reproduction Bottel . It was not Blown by a firesmith. The one with seam were poured into a mold for faster production. All bottels should have a date on the bottom because
it'd requirred by law and always was. What Bottel
collectors are in the market for are the hand Blown
Bottels with a date on the bottom. A Bottlle with
noo date and has no seems is worthless to the true
bottle collectors. No Date means they don't want you to know it's s suvenier. Sorry.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ME- I'm sorry Dennis, but none of that is true.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/
The above link will tell you a lot about bottles.

You didn't post the lip of the bottle, but from the shape of the rest of it, I think it is a "hutch". Also, the seams of the bottle probably stop right below the lip on this bottle. If they go all the way through the lip, then it was machine made and after 1903. (Although it did take a while for everyone to switch over to the automated bottle machine, so it's not a guaranteed indication of age that it's pre-1903 based on seams to the top.)

BTW - I just looked at the picture again. Definitely a hutch, as I can see the stopper in it. Soda POP! Changing sanitary/health concerns fazed this type of bottle out. Lead in the stopper and the question of complete sterilization of the bottle before re-use caused the disappearance of this bottle. The crown top became the bottle of the 20th century (and beyond).

I have sold similar bottles for around $20.

Most old bottles do not have dates.

DA yes they do have dates IF theyer old and hand blown even if it's just the last 2 Digets. Kate please explane, why a hand blown Bottle would have seems from a mold?

However Kate I still would pay $20.00 for the bottel that you have. If you find a bottle with a letter followed by 2 didgets please contact me ANY Bottle.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Someone else:
yes, it appears to a hutchinson stopper - the giveawy is the metal piece still showing inside the neck - and yes, Dennis, your information is totally incorrect - sorry - blown bottles can also have seams where the molds come together - most bottles of this age also have no date - it would have been an extravagant expense to cut the date into this type of mold - there were a number of bottlers in Emmaus/Emaus through the early part of the 1900's - I probably have 20 examples stashed in the attic - nope, none are for sale - for those interested, Buchman and Lambert bottles show up quite often on Ebay and rarely sell for more than $10 -whew - sorry for the length (give a preacher a microphone and run the other way)

ME A free-blown bottle would not have seams. However, until the Owens Automated Bottle Machine was invented in 1903, bottles where hand-blown into molds rather than free-blown. Free-blowing became antiquated by 1860. If you review the website I posted, it will clarify how bottles were made and the developments over the years.

To say collectors only collect free-blown bottles is about as far from true as you can get. There are collectors that will not purchase ABM bottles, but even many of these have value. Particularly soda bottles. Most may not fetch what a BIM (blown in mold) bottle would, but there are a large number of these collectors out there.

Me to someone else - plus shipping! But you're probably right. I let my digging partner price my stuff and I don't remember exactly how much I've sold these for!

Someone else back when I was selling bottles, the general Emaus bottles were an easy $20 each - blob tops went for more - the market for all collectibles has tanked - I follow Emmaus bottles on Ebay, and many won't even get one bid these days.

ME (To the person asking about the bottle) The name on the bottle is what's called a slug plate. Molds were generic and a plate would be inserted into the mold to print the name on the bottle. This would be switched out by the bottle company for each different company.

Someone else Kate, I bow down to thee, oh fount of all knowledge - thankfully, your facts are correct

Me to Someone else I actually don't think I have any of these! Most of the Emaus bottles I dug are blobs or crown tops.

Thanks! And no disrespect was meant in stating Dennis wrong. Just needed to correct incorrect info.

DA Ya, and I have a bridge I can sell you.. $20.00 on Ebay collection is not the kind of bottle Collection I'm talking about. What I'm talking about a "free" Hand bottle colletion. Where if you get your hands on a Blue colored persciption bottle as much as $50.000 pre 1900s. How many $20.00 bottels do you have to find to make $50.000 that's thousand Dollars. My info is very correct.

about an hour ago via mobile · Edited · Like..

ME The blue colored that you're referring to are blown in a mold. Not free blown. I have a Seitz Squat graphite pontil... still blown in a mold.

There are bottles blown in molds without seams, too. They were made in a turn-mold. Turn it while it's hot to erase the seams. Still not free-blown.

Just curious - how do you even put a date on a free-blown bottle?

ps - I can think of 2 correct answers to that question, but I don't think either was often done, if ever.

DA keep informing your education from the web, where everythng you read is true. Try going to a Library forr the real information. You'll see that I'm right. But you guys won't cuz you want to be right. I incourage you not to believe me so you can seek the truth. And it's not on EBay or Craigslist.

It's called a stamp Kate. If you find a C20 on the botomm of the bottle that maens the bottle was made in 1960. Check me out at the library or Amozon or Barns and Noble.

ME (now po'd) I learn from the dirt itself sweetheart. And from all my other dirt digging bottle loving friends. And references such as the Society for Historical Archaeology are pretty reliable. I think you would feel pretty foolish saying anything you've said here today to a bottle collector that collects the "real" bottles. I'm not claiming to be an expert in any way, shape or form, but I do know what I'm talking about.

DA I'm done and I'm out.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ME
I see one of my comments no longer makes sense as the previous comment was edited. Anyway, I agree that sometimes things posted on the web are not correct and should not be believed, and that is why I opted to put my 2 cents in. My guess is that blue bottle you are referring to you does not belong to you, and it was probably also blown in a mold. Although $50,000? I missed that one. Not saying it's impossible. My friend Rick has a nice puce Dyottville Eagle Flask that's worth 25,000 on up... but it's still blown in a mold.

SO ANYWAY - WHAT IS THIS $50,000 PERSCIPTION BOTTEL OF WHICH HE SPEAKS!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Nope - this is on a local page. Not a troll in the computer sense (but in reality!)
I probably wouldn't have been so polite if it was a more anonymous group.

So - now I'm searching the web for some rare $50,000 medicine/cure that is BIM.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Wow, what a lunatic. [:D]

It seems that the weight of the factual information you provided convinced everyone else, and that's what matters. If I were you I'd let it go, it doesn't seem to be a worthy or profitable battle to be fighting and I'm sure you have more rewarding things to do instead of sparring with a delusional nutcase, funny as it all is.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I agree... plenty more I could say that I'm not going to... just want a $50.000 that's thousand dollar blue prescription bottle that's BIM... if there is such a thing.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey nice to see you again Kate! Sorry about the FB-BS going on there, I doubt even a million dollar scrip bottle would slap any sense into that bloke.. [&:]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Holy blown in the mold bat man! [8D]

What is this dudes email or web name????? I'm sure we can have tremendous fun with him lol

83DCA39B85BC4256A42ADD3C2B549A3E.jpg

Attachments

• 83DCA39B85BC4256A42ADD3C2B549A3E.jpg
    83DCA39B85BC4256A42ADD3C2B549A3E.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 62

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu