How many hot dogs is this insulator worth?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixel

Reaction score
BillinMo is pretty much dead on with his description. While a rare insulator, it is heavily damaged. I think its worth more than $20 though.

10% of book actually $175- $200. I believe that to be high still for a value.

Personally, I think that a value of 50-100 is more reasonable, and something you could see from the piece if it was to be sold.

I’ve seen the same scenario play out again and again: a damaged specimen sits on a table at a show, everyone picks it up, looks it over, shakes their head and says "Wow, what a neat piece... if only it was mint.†Not many people will actually spend money to buy it.

Same could be said for an expensive, rare piece. Not many people will actually spend money to buy it if mint either. "Wow, what a nice piece, and you have a very good price on it" It my experience, it takes just as long to sell the rare, good condition example as it does the rare, damaged example. The only difference is you have 2 different classes of collector buying them.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I keep hearing heavily damaged. Is there no difference between that and 50% complete in the insulator world?
With bottles, half of one pretty much means nothing for value most of the time.
I'm just wondering.[8|][8|]

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Eric....
I know there is a difference in the insulator world - at least when they are rare.... guess how I learned that![8|]
At least I was smart enough to look at the broken insulator my digging partner chucked back as broken garbage!

Bixel

Reaction score
In the insulator world, a heavily damaged example still holds value in only the VERY rare insulators. I am talking the 0.0000001% of insulators if heavily damaged, might still have some value.

What I have found with bottles at least, it seems to be similar to a bottle that has a top missing, but is exceptionally rare. There are still collectors who would take a VERY rare bottle that was damaged to have as a place holder.

BillinMo

Reaction score
So glad you chimed in, Kyle -- I figured opinions on value would show lots of variation. And obviously, I suck at math. [:D]

In the insulator world, a heavily damaged example still holds value in only the VERY rare insulators. I am talking the 0.0000001% of insulators if heavily damaged, might still have some value.

Spot-on. This one is closer to what I'd call a "recognizable shard." Just about any insulator in the same state as this Boston -- even one that would sell for a couple hundred dollars -- would have a value of almost nil. I think almost any insulator, except that 0.0000001% that Kyle mentions, would need to AT LEAST be able to stand on its own (as in resting on the skirt rim) to have even a fraction of its VNM value, and even then you'll be waiting a long time to find a buyer willing to open their wallet for it. More often than not I see these thrown into trade deals.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
More often than not I see these thrown into trade deals.
For hotdogs?

Interestingly, if you smash up any old bottle and throw it in the ocean for 100 years, all the little pieces are worth more than many whole bottles!

David Fertig

Reaction score
I have bought my share of damaged insulators over the years and seen plenty sold to others.

My first Harloe claw was missing a claw.

My first Oakman's was glued together.

And I have some others that I can't remember right now.

My personal view is that if it is a rare piece but damaged, I am willing to pay a fraction of it's vmn value. I enjoy holding history in my hands as much as or more them holding something valuable. This piece could be mounted on a pin and displayed in an upright fashion. That's probably what I'd do. Its a neat piece of history.

Some collectors will only buy VNM or better pieces. And they may wait years for something to come along. Others might not have the $$$ to plunk down for a good one, but are willing to take one like this just to have one.

My opinion of value - $40-50.

David Fertig

Reaction score
And as to those hot dogs...

I haven't been to Bethlehem for years. But if it was at Balto. - $50 buys about two hot dogs!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu