How many hot dogs is this insulator worth?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I gave this Samuel Oakman bisected insulator to a friend a few years back (it's broken), then was informed it still had a pretty decent value. Although I'm still digging the same dump, I haven't found the 2 sides for it yet... he's been buying me hot dogs at the Bethlehem Show for the last 3 years or so... how many more can I get out of him? Have I won hot dogs for life, or should I let him off the hook soon?

B7C724B252CC4DAD8008CE213476D180.jpg

Attachments

• B7C724B252CC4DAD8008CE213476D180.jpg
    B7C724B252CC4DAD8008CE213476D180.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 101

BillinMo

Reaction score
Holy smokes! That's a 3-segment Boston Bottle Works. Definitely a nice piece and I'd be searching through that dump with a fine-toothed comb to find one in decent shape!!

It's tough to say which style you have though, without more photos. Can you post some from different angles?

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
This is the only other picture I have. I know they made 3 segment & 4 segment. Pat date Oct 15 1872.

B47454AF33214724910C58A40392D504.jpg

Attachments

• B47454AF33214724910C58A40392D504.jpg
    B47454AF33214724910C58A40392D504.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 106

BillinMo

Reaction score
Nice - that extra photo helps a lot. This is a CD 158. The three-segment version has a different profile than the four-segment version one usually sees at insulator shows but it's considered the same CD.

Any Boston Bottle Works insulator is highly desirable and well into the 500+ range in good shape, and the three segment versions of any style are a good deal scarcer. I've been pursuing any and all glass related to Samuel Oakman for 28 years now, and I’ve not seen many three-segment 158s for sale.

I hesitate to attempt a response to your question on value because it’ll be here on the internet for everyone to misconstrue, and even with a well-done price guide like we have in the insulator hobby, prices can be very quirky, especially on high-end pieces. I think you and most serious glass collectors understand that condition plays a HUGE role in values and prices. For this particular piece, the book lists 1750-2000, but most I've seen sell have been for less.

HOWEVER, this is a heavily damaged specimen that won't display well and won't even stand upright to fill a shelf spot until a better one comes along. I’ve seen the same scenario play out again and again: a damaged specimen sits on a table at a show, everyone picks it up, looks it over, shakes their head and says "Wow, what a neat piece... if only it was mint.†Not many people will actually spend money to buy it. I’d be thinking around 17.50-20.00 (10% of book price) just because it's a rare, old piece of glass with enough of it to identify what it is. Keep in mind that I’m a cheapskate and some other collector might come up with a completely different value -- we don't have many rules to go by when the insulator's not the book VNM standard. If hot dogs are 2.00 apiece, then it’s still safe to say you have at least a few more years coming.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: BillinMo

Nice - that extra photo helps a lot. This is a CD 158. The three-segment version has a different profile than the four-segment version one usually sees at insulator shows but it's considered the same CD.

Any Boston Bottle Works insulator is highly desirable and well into the 500+ range in good shape, and the three segment versions of any style are a good deal scarcer. I've been pursuing any and all glass related to Samuel Oakman for 28 years now, and I’ve not seen many three-segment 158s for sale.

I hesitate to attempt a response to your question on value because it’ll be here on the internet for everyone to misconstrue, and even with a well-done price guide like we have in the insulator hobby, prices can be very quirky, especially on high-end pieces. I think you and most serious glass collectors understand that condition plays a HUGE role in values and prices. For this particular piece, the book lists 1750-2000, but most I've seen sell have been for less.

HOWEVER, this is a heavily damaged specimen that won't display well and won't even stand upright to fill a shelf spot until a better one comes along. I’ve seen the same scenario play out again and again: a damaged specimen sits on a table at a show, everyone picks it up, looks it over, shakes their head and says "Wow, what a neat piece... if only it was mint.†Not many people will actually spend money to buy it. I’d be thinking around 17.50-20.00 (10% of book price) just because it's a rare, old piece of glass with enough of it to identify what it is. Keep in mind that I’m a cheapskate and some other collector might come up with a completely different value -- we don't have many rules to go by when the insulator's not the book VNM standard. If hot dogs are 2.00 apiece, then it’s still safe to say you have at least a few more years coming.

This gets my vote for best post of the day..! [:)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94