An interesting thing happened while diving

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I an going to leave off the ending. I'm sure you can guess what happened but I'll let you do it tonight and I'll post the last two (plus)paragraphs tomorrow to finish this off ....

Okay. So I was out diving at about twenty feet. Because of the thermocline in the summer, the water is significantly colder at the bottom than it is at the surface. It’s one of the benefits of diving on a hot summer day. The bottom is naturally temperate and cool. The warm temperatures at the surface are nice too. I love floating on my back and relaxing in the bathwater after a dive. It’s nice looking up at the sky and trying to save that feeling because I know how much I am going to miss this when winter rolls around again.
As I’m feeling around for bottles at twenty feet, I found one with the top pointing straight down, the bottom facing the sky. I need to step back here. Oftentimes, divers will find common or modern or damaged or plain old junk bottles. One thing they sometimes do, is place them back into the bottom with the top pointing down. It is supposed to signify that this bottle has been checked and it is worthless. I hate it when divers do that (so, I try not to). It seems territorial to me like a dog lifting his leg; ‘this is mine – I searched this area - it’s been done – and this thing is junk’. Once, I found a hutch just a foot away from one such rejected bottle. I was thinking, “Ha. In your face! You missed this one!†Anyway, my first fear was that I’d likely found a rejected bottle. I reached down and felt a blob top with the stopper intact and in-place on the blob. In fact, the bottle was in the closed (sealed) position. Apparently, the thing just sank top-down. I tucked it into the belt area of my bcd. (This is the vest you wear to control your buoyancy underwater. It clips around your waist). Then I went looking for more bottles.
After several minutes (and several found bottles), I decided to return to the surface to unload. I pulled myself up along my float line. Just as my head pops out of the water I hear a concussive “KAAHH BOOOOMâ€. It sounded like someone threw a bowling ball in the water right next to me. Or better yet, someone jumped off of the upper deck of their pontoon boat landing in my face. The first thing I thought was that my dive buddy was messing with me. Nope, nowhere around. What about a boat? No again. Maybe I had trapped a large fish up underneath my float just as I was surfacing? That would explain it, but I didn’t see any fish and that had never happened before.

deldig

Reaction score
Your poor blob exploded due to the temperature change, didn't it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I got timed out and lost it all because I didn't save it.
I mentioned this in the past but it's worth repeating I think.
I've always had luck with hitting the backspace key and that brings the post back. Copying the text, pasting in notepad and logging in again and then just paste it back. You lose links and pictures I think but it's better than everything.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks for checking out my story people. Deldig - you pretty much got it. Here's the rest of it.

I began to unload the bottles when I realized the weiss beer bottle that I had found with the stopper now had no stopper. In fact, there were no metal pieces on it at all.
I realized that the stopper had blown off. The temperature change, perhaps the pressure change, had forced the closure to blast away completely. Lucky for me the glass sustained no damage. I smelled the remaining contents of the half-filled bottle and it smelled like beer. Not rancid or tainted, just regular hops or malt. Pretty neat. The original purchaser of this bottle 100 plus years ago lost it before it had ever been opened. Because of the tiny amount of trapped air, it probably sank closure downward and sat there until I found it all those years later.
When I returned to the boat, I had my buddy smell the bottle. He agreed, it contained beer and it smelled good. Crazy!

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
We dug a sealed, full blob top beer from an 1870s layer of a Philly privy. It started leaking while we were putting out the finds for the pick, so I opened it. it fizzed, and smelled like skunked beer. When I poured it out it foamed up in a puddle just like a beer of today. It was the bottle in the middle of this picture.

5A7AAEEFF3C8490EAEC1C88F35EA19EF.jpg

Attachments

• 5A7AAEEFF3C8490EAEC1C88F35EA19EF.jpg
    5A7AAEEFF3C8490EAEC1C88F35EA19EF.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 81

CazDigger

Reaction score
Weiss beer is more highly carbonated than lagers or ale, that is the reason for using such thick glass. Good thing the bottle didn't blow up!

towhead

Reaction score
Great story! Sure would be nice to be in a lake somewhere right now.... Julie

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: towhead

Great story! Sure would be nice to be in a lake somewhere right now.... Julie

Hey stranger I had to check the post date to make sure it was new [:D]

Cool dive story bob I have a full bottle of wise beer caped off. It turned yellow when it hit the light. I doubt that smells lik[:'(]e good beer

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky