"Suffolk bitters" figural pig bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
ok, so I was in this low budget antique store, today, that was really more of a consignment junk store, and got a couple nice labeled bottles which I will post later under a different thread, but while eyeballing the place I noticed an amber figural pig bottle tucked into a crowded curio cabinet that was locked. I couldn't see much of it because of the poor lighting, but I could see that the lip was tooled. It had a price of $500 with a hash through it, marked down to $90. I did not have the time to ask the octogenarian in charge, partially obscured by piles of books, to unlock the cabinet so that I might have a better look, as my wife was pacing our stroller bound 10 month old back and forth in front of this shop while he wailed and moaned. So I decided to do some research on these pig bottles, and come back next weekend with a little education. First thing I hit on in the internet world was a Peachridge Glass post about 1970s repros, so that is probably what I saw in that cabinet. Anybody here have experience handling these pig bottles? What should I be looking for to distinguish a repro from the real thing?

epackage

Reaction score
Reggie Lynch says "Pig figural embossed AMERICA'S / SUFFOLK BITTERS / LIFE PRESERVER without the "PHILBROOK & TUCKER" name. Only the original has the "PHILBROOK & TUCKER" name."

botlguy

Reaction score
I have an original, actually it belongs to my Daughter as a part of her inheritance. I wouldn't give a nickel for the repro myself. The "Life Preserver " embossing and lack of "PHILBROOK & TUCKER" is the dead give away although I can spot the fakes across a room.

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
here's a very poor quality shot I hastily grabbed with my old phone. the only thing you can tell is that it's honey amber, which should be great if it's real.

03A56C62B27748728BF34CC9021A32F6.jpg

Attachments

• 03A56C62B27748728BF34CC9021A32F6.jpg
    03A56C62B27748728BF34CC9021A32F6.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 81

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The real ones go for more than $800.00 dollars on fleabay, I think I would bomb back over to that store really quick like and check that Piggie out!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora