Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

G Myers Barnesville, Ohio jug

I was first to arrive at a yard sale yesterday morning with the usual baby stuff and made in China junk when I spotted a group of crocks and jugs under a table. Mostly just common brown and white stuff, but I found this one
    G Myers (could be Hyers) & Co. Dealers in Dry Goods Groceries & C. Baresville, Ohio. I am almost certain that someone forgot to put the N in Barnesville on the stencil as this small town is located in southeast Ohio where this style of stoneware was made.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5364FDE12D9C4105AC1666F6BD3371E5.jpg  

RE: G Myers Barnesville, Ohio jug

Now for the bad news

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 465A11356D6A4B0CBB3A15ACBEC82C62.jpg  

I also got this Hamilton & Jones wax sealer in perfect condition. Both stoneware pieces and a galvanized sprinkling can for $40, a real good deal. Has anyone seen this jug before? I suspect there are not too many out there as Barnesville was and is a small town. Is it possible to get the handle repaired? I normally wouldn't bother, but it is such a nice jug, I might consider getting it repaired. I really like the look of the southeast Ohio and PA stoneware with the combination stencil and freehand blue and this is the first nice example I've been able to find.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4BFEE4749CFC4D12BE49E4C3A24CEA7A.jpg  

I think you got a good deal on them . That kind of stuff never shows up at yard sales in my area , or at least not for me when I go to them I would definitely get the jug repaired if I had it , that's a nice piece . I live in Ohio and do not remember ever hearing of the name of that town . Good luck with the jug should you decided to have it repaired .

Senior Member Bottle Finder kor's Avatar

Very nice. I've also never found anything like that at a yard sale. I don't know anything about them but I would have jumped on the pair for that price.

I'd say you did better than good, I think you dun GOODER or even BESTES. That jug seems outstanding.

You did great, don't CONSIDER getting the handle repaired GET IT REPAIRED!!

Baresville, Ohio. I am almost certain that someone forgot to put the N in Barnesville on the stencil as this small town is located in southeast Ohio where this style of stoneware was made.
    Wonderful find, Todd,

I'd think that public nudity is probably still frowned upon in Barnesville, too. [8D]

Do get it repaired.

From.

Thanks everyone. While not my best yard sale find of the year, it was the most exciting as I will be keeping this one, not reselling it. Is the repair something I should do myself or have professionally done? Does anyone have any advice on how to do it or where to take it for repair?

I`m gonna go out on a limb and guess.....unless you are a potter, I`d say get a pro to handle it.