G Myers Barnesville, Ohio jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Great snags, Todd! I don't know who all does that kinda thing up North, but there's a couple of good restorers down South. PM me if you want me to get their numbers for you.

pchan

Reaction score
I won`t reveal all my secrets....mysterious ain`t I.

nfull88@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to give my input to your post. Your jug does say G. Hyer-- Baresville, Ohio. Baresville, named after Jacob Bare who founded this little town on the Ohio River back in the early 1800's. Originally the little town was called Bare's landing. Because of flooding the town moved to higher elevation and became Baresville. Because Baresville was very close in spelling to Barnsville, the Post Office instigated a name change and prior to 1859 the name was changed to Hannibal. Your jug is a treasure. I grew up in Hannibal (Baresville) and I went to school with Hyer descendants. It's a great jug and displays very well. I wish it was mine:)

truedigr

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to add some history about the jug and town. It is greatly appreciated. RC

Lordbud

Reaction score
To me getting the jug repaired is something you have plenty of time to think about. Since you plan to keep it (who wouldn't - it's a beauty!), repairing it can wait. It displays very nicely as it is, an incredible find! The hand stenciling, the decorations, the shape are what make this a stand-out piece. Not the handle -- or lack thereof. Congrats.

margepdx

Reaction score
Yes I can confirm, that there was a Baresville, Ohio. It was settled by my 4th Greatgrandfather, Jacob Bare and his family, in about 1805. Originally it was known as "Bare's" and "Bare's Landing". After Jacob platted the lots in 1836 about, it became known as Baresville. The Post Office recognized that change, per The Kalida Venture, Kalida, Putnam, Ohio, on May 23, 1851. The Post Office changed it again, citing confusion with other towns such as Barnesville, to Hannibal, which it continues as today. You can find it on Highway 7 along the Ohio River. You have a wonderful treasure! I was in Baresville doing family research in 2013 and someone showed me a similar jug. If you ever want to sell it, please let me know. Marge Bare, Vancouver WA.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora