Some more Earlyglass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: earlyglasscollector

I've put this one on here before, but I'm told this is a Wistarburgh piece...

P1140088_zpsd151f576.jpg

earlyglass
Mark where did you acquire this one. A lot of my collection of Wistarburgh glass and family papers came from lineal descendants of the Wistars who moved to England during and after the war of Independence. Richard Wistar had established trade with glass houses in England between 1752 and 1780. Have you had this bottle for bid on eBay before,it looks familiar.Great looking by the way!!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Hello Steve, fascinating and brillliant that your Wistarburgh pieces are that well documented, real pieces of history, and so important, especially when an item is unusual and otherwise unnattributable perhaps, as it can then be used to attribute other similar pieces.
My octagonal bottle, no I don't think I've put it on ebay...or have I? sorry I can't remember now, I have so much stuff...!!!! Bt it's not the sort of thing I would usually put on there. It was bought in an American auction a few years ago, and was attributed then to Wistarburgh, but I don't think there is any historical evidence, just visual...
regards
Mark
earlyglass collector

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Love looking at the early stuff. Interesting reading, thanks for sharing your knowledge. I have a fun little book on sealed bottles I just read again, it is by Roy Morgan and Gordon Litherland.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Re: RE: Some more Earlyglass

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, a good number of "mature" collectors now turning from rows of this and that late Victorian stuff...to much much earlier items with somehow just that more meaningfullness..:)Roy Morgan's sealed bottles book...ahhh that takes me back, I pored and pored over that when I was 11, trying to think what seals I would like and might one day get...and 40 years later I've probably had half of them at least! :)...at one time or another anyway!earlyglass collector

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score

Here's a couple more to be going on with..A really unusual English 1830's utility, very "boot" like, like the German bottles...would be interested to know what people think of this one. Sand pontil.
P1120343.jpg
and don't know much about this. Quite possibly early American? I'm open to ideas on this...
P1120303.jpg
earlyglass collector

sandchip

Reaction score

Can't tell you a thing other than they are some beautiful pieces, like everything else you posted. especially this one. What a killer bottle.
earlyglasscollector said:

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Hi Mark. you weren't ignored, it's just that a lot of changes are happening.On the bowl I think it looks a bit new but I don't know. My first guess would be French or Italian but if it is American and old I'd go with Massachusetts. Don't even ask why on anything I say. That's just my gut and maybe someone else knows for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown