Cathedral - Beacon Beverages Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi all - here's a soda bottle I dug today that I've never come across before. When I first saw it through the dirt I got really excited because of the cathedral look. Turns out it's a Beacon Beverages soda bottle. Any info would be appreciated!

Bz78363.jpg

Attachments

• Bz78363.jpg
    Bz78363.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 173

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Dear Norm....

You know I love green bottles and here you go posting one of the neatest I have ever seen...and you don't even collect soda bottles! You did that to show off didn't you? You just wait..I'll find a really neat blob top someday and I'll tease you with it!![8D]

I think I found the bottle I am going to send you but you'll just have to be patient...I am heading to Portland..(Oregon..not Maine! snicker snicker)...to see Mom this weekend so will try to get it out in the mail or UPS on Monday or Tuesday...

Good hunting....

The Doc....[X(]

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Stop pouting Dr.[:D] Before I found this one, I found about 3/4 of a broken one which I was going to post. I'll keep an eye at for others when I go back, where theres one...[;)] Does anyone have information about this bottle?

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hey Norm -

Here's what I can tell you about Beacon Beverages -

This outfit was located right in Westbrook (talk about a local bottle!) from the 1940s into the 60s on Main St. They bottled Beacon and Dr. Swett's brands of soda. That neat bottle you have pictured is the style used for the Beacon line - I've never seen a green one with a label. The same style of bottle comes in clear glass and has a red and white ACL showing an airplane circling a tower (the beacon) - it is quite popular with soda bottle collectors and usually goes for $30-40.

Sam

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Thanks Sam! My wife grew up in Westbrook, and never heard of the Beacon Line. I'll have to go back to see if I can find one of the clear acl ones, sound's like a cool bottle. I'm curious, how did you find the information that this company was right under my nose?[8D] I kept hitting dead ends. Is this one you'd like for your book?

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Norm - I get much of my info from Maine Registers, books on Maine businesses put out each year. The Beacon and Dr. Swett bottles I have found in my travels around the state. I'll pass on the green bottle but if you happen to find another Westbrook bottle during one of your digs - an old eight-sided BIMAL med labeled "Rupturine - Hernia Cure Co., Westbrook, Maine" - that I would be interested in!
-Sam

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Ok Sam, I'll keep that Rupturine in mind. I have an invite by a man who lives down by the river who say's the 'old westbrook dump' is on his property. I'm also trying to get myself invited by 'sunshine4me' to help them dig their location.[;)] By the way, how close are you to publishing the 1st book?

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
The end is in sight as far as research and writing goes on both books, however, I haven't hooked up with a publisher yet. I have no idea how long things take once they are in the publisher's hands. I'm still adding new entries occasionally to both books, but I know other names and companies will be brought to my attention once they go to print - can't find them all!
-Sam

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi