Rare bottle defects

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

reach44

Reaction score
Do you own any rare or treasured bottles with a chip or crack in them but still covet them? It always irks me to have a damaged bottle even if its slight. But sometimes one comes up that is rare enough that the damage has to be overlooked.

antlerman23

Reaction score
I have a few. a busted top iron pontil cobalt soda and a open pontil cathedral peppersauce to name a couple.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Most of my bottle are soda and beer bottles, as a result, most of my bottles have some kind of damage or haze or defect on them. I have only paid to have two bottles cleaned. I bought both of them way under value and with the cleaning they were still way under value. I have lost several bottles that had cracks or pot stones or through mishandling, but most of them were trashed at one time or another.

Scott

Ohiosulator

Reaction score
I have some rare pieces with damage because they are still historically significant no matter what and after being around so long they deserve to have some sort of damage, its just part of their story. There are some who cant have any sort of flaw while others enjoy them no matter what

botlguy

Reaction score
I have had quite a number of damaged bottles in my collections over the years and while I prefer pristine just like everyone else they were / are welcome additions. I once observed a rare Historical Flask with half of the mouth gone sell for $24,000 at a Heckler auction. I was sort of a newbie and was flabbergasted. The buyer was ecstatic.

reach44

Reaction score
I've found a medicine variant I want and it has a lip chip. I suppose I just wanted a little backup to justify the purchase [:D]

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: reach44
I've found a medicine variant I want and it has a lip chip. I suppose I just wanted a little backup to justify the purchase [:D]
I just bought, off eBay, a pharmacy from the Owl Pharmacy, Bellingham, Wash., with a lip chip, for about $20 with mailing. It goes with my Granddaughters Owl bottle collection. It would go for at least 5 times that if perfect so it's worth it to me. She won't care when she gets the collection.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I have tried to collect bottles with marks on them that show where the bottle had to something special to finish his work. I have several bottles with long bar marks where they had a hot zone of glass on their blown parison and touched a wet wooden paddle to the side wall to cool that part of the parison. I have found these marks on demijohns mainly. I have several mold cavity repair marks: round bar inserts and rectangular metal inserts are the most common ones. I have spotter bar marks for several typs and shapes usually needed for multi layer applied color labels. The most recent new one was on the 2001 egg plant bottle that didn't show any mold seams because it was made in Italy and the whole bottle to the top of the neck was painted - a strange blueish color. I never get down on a damaged bottle if it shows other merit for being in my collection.RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi