Lip chip repair? Or not?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello all Members, I have been experimenting in minor bottle repairs. So I think it is repairing them! Maybe you will disagree with my way of repairing my bottle. I did alter the bottles length 1/32' or so to remove the chip by slowly removing the lip to remove the undamaged lip to recede below the damaged area. Then I tried to bevel the blob top inside and outside to as close to the original as I could. This was my first attempt at this repair and It was very nerve racking and time consuming. The hardest part was polishing the sanded areas back to the original shine. I will post a before and after picture and would like to get some feed back, Positive or negative! Please note: I only tried this on two bottles that I plan to keep in my collection, NOT, try to sell them or pass them off as original bottles!! Thanks, Kevin.....

Attachments

• d96b4976312746f5a19dadc11c1e1282.jpg
    d96b4976312746f5a19dadc11c1e1282.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 120

chosi

Reaction score
So you've ground the blob down to where there is no damage, loosing 1/32nd of an inch in the process?I guess the historian in me doesn't like the fact that you've altered the blob, and would prefer a repair that somehow puts back the glass that was broken off. But I gotta admit, it does look pretty nice.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks Chosi, That is why I posted this on here, To get honest replies!! I know I altered the bottle as described above. But, The bottles were low end bottles and ugly!! Now they are still low end bottles, But, look 100% better! I do agree with you and some other members that altering a bottle can harm the value. I had nothing to lose by removing the lip chip's on these two bottles. I would never sell them or trade them without disclosing information about altering these bottles. Thanks for your honest opinion!! Kevin...

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thank you Charlie, It is a lot of work, But to me it was worth it!!! The bottles were to nice to have the lip damage.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp