Help! New Rhode Island Codd bottle (half of one) puzzle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I could barely believe it tonight when a Massachusetts digger posted pictures of this broken Codd bottle from Rhode Island. American Codds are rare enough, and the Harvey Mineral Water Works from Newport, RI codd is extremely rare. The unfortunate problem is the condition (tears). Only half of the bottle was found. I can't determine the name of the first partner or the city where the bottle is from. I'm almost certain it is from Providence or Newport. The embossing as it can be made out (question mark ? after words I guessed): & JACKSON / …C.R. / SODA? WATER CO. / PROVIDENCE? RHODE ISLAND (soda water co. in diamond) (all vertically on front)U.S.PATENT /PAT. APRIL 29th 1873 / SOLE AGENTS / H. CODD & CO. / 22 COMMERCE ST. / NEW YORK If you could help me solve the mystery of this bottle, I would be forever in your debt!
10681772043_9641403ebd_z.jpg
10681771863_1db9382391.jpg

whittled

Reaction score
Doesn't mean it was made in the US but HERE is something.Maybe there were glass makers here making Codds but I don't know of any. I'd love to find out which ones if there were.If you or anyone finds or knows something more, please let me know.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Hey Whittled,The North American Soda & Beer bottle website lists about 190 American Codd bottles. It would be hard to believe they were all made in England. That said, does anyone have proof of an American-made Codd bottle?

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Well, I got a tease last week! I found a Mr. Ashworth from Lonsdale, RI advertising X.L.C.R. Mineral Waters. Perhaps he was partners with Mr. Jackson earlier? The references I found were from the 1890s, while this Codd is likely 1870s.

epackage

Reaction score
There is a Paterson codd, it was made in England, I'm not sure if any glasshouse produced codds here in the US. Sadly the only example of the Paterson codd is broken, but 99% of it is there. Too bad about this one Taylor, would have been a hell of a find....

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It seams that Hiram Codd may have secured the patent here to keep a monopoly on the use. He also was a senior partner in the glass maker. It's hard to follow but that's what I'm thinking.If so it's possible he never gave permission for a US maker to produce them. At least not until he sold the rights or the patent ran out.Just typing out loud. TO.—GLASS BOTTLES.

Hon. Chas. J. Folorr,

Secretary of the Treasury, Washington, D. C:

London, Eng., April 13, 1883. Sir: Under date of the 3d instant, I addressed a communication to the supervising special agent, informing him that I had received direct and positive information to the effect that the revenues had been largely defrauded in the importation of certain patent bottlet for aerated waters, and which are known as " Codd's patent globe stoppered bottles.

This information was communicated to me verbally by a gentleman well informed in the bottle trade in England and who has had close busiuess relations with the patentee, the manufacturers and shippers of the bottles in question for a number of years.

Mr. Hiram Codd is the inventor of these bottles, and those shipped to the United States have been consigned to his own house, Hiram Codd & Co., New York.

The manufacturers of these bottles are Codd & Rylands, of Baverly, Yorkshire, Mr Hiram Codd, the patentee, being the senior member of the firm. Heretofore the bottles shipped to the United States were shipped by Mr. Hiram Codd, who has been doing business in this city in the name-of Hiram Codd; it appears, howwever, that an arrangement has been made within the past week or so between Mr. Codd and his manufacturing partner, whereby the bottles are now being, and are hereafter to be, invoiced by Codd and Rylands..........
FROM

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I remember that bottle. I did some research back then but I lost it. I believe it was an import from the UK, Manchester if memory serves. I don't feel like researching it again.Nice bottle though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac