What do you collect for milks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ratbastard

Reaction score
i only collect pryro's from the upper peninsula of michigan . that's where im from. any size

Packman28

Reaction score
I collect pyros from North and South Carolina. And, embossed from mainly Southeast North Carolina. They add up quickly and you can run out of storage.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Packman28 said:
I collect pyros from North and South Carolina. And, embossed from mainly Southeast North Carolina. They add up quickly and you can run out of storage.

LOL So true, my milks (and all my bottles) take up a lot of space. Another question for you all, what do you think of half-gallons/gallons? I only get em if they're from Westport/Acoaxet MA my main collection. I've heard a lot of guys don't like them because they take up too much room.

reach44

Reaction score
Portsmouth Ohio, Wheelersburg, Ohio, West Portsmouth, Ohio. Only towns I care about when it comes to milks.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well my first bottle was a milk. I told about how I got it as a kid because I walked the rail road tracks back of our farm to a neighbors barn yard fence and looking at all his cows. He came out to the fence and I told him I was amassed at all his cows, my parents only have one. He explained that he sold milk to a dairy in Watkins Glen, and invited me in to see his barn. Wow, he had a neat place and he showed me his bull and gave me a little bottle of milk to drink. I still have that bottle. I was showing it to my Grandfather and we talked about how they made the bottles. A few weeks later, he took me to Elmira to the Thatcher Glass factory and took me in to see them being made on an early HMB machine. I was amaised and highly impressed - especially at how they loaded the empty bottles in straw in railroad box cars for shipping. I even brought another milk bottle home from the factory, which i still have. Years later I even went to work at this same glass factory as an engineer in their Central Mold Division - making all kinds of mold equipment. I worked for them for 15 years and traveled the world for the next 22 years selling a special metal for mold equipment to the worlds glass industry for making things out of glass. The metal had a special alloy composition we developed for it's age hardening characteristics gained by being pushed in hot glass during the forming of it. I have several Thatcher milk bottles now. An Italian copy of the original Dr. Thatcher milk bottle, and have collected glass ever since that first one. Before that I collected glass telephone insulators along the rail road track and have walked to pick wild asparagus, which grows great in railroad coal ashes. RED Matthews

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
Well my first bottle was a milk. I told about how I got it as a kid because I walked the rail road tracks back of our farm to a neighbors barn yard fence and looking at all his cows. He came out to the fence and I told him I was amassed at all his cows, my parents only have one. He explained that he sold milk to a dairy in Watkins Glen, and invited me in to see his barn. Wow, he had a neat place and he showed me his bull and gave me a little bottle of milk to drink. I still have that bottle. I was showing it to my Grandfather and we talked about how they made the bottles. A few weeks later, he took me to Elmira to the Thatcher Glass factory and took me in to see them being made on an early HMB machine. I was amaised and highly impressed - especially at how they loaded the empty bottles in straw in railroad box cars for shipping. I even brought another milk bottle home from the factory, which i still have. Years later I even went to work at this same glass factory as an engineer in their Central Mold Division - making all kinds of mold equipment. I worked for them for 15 years and traveled the world for the next 22 years selling a special metal for mold equipment to the worlds glass industry for making things out of glass. The metal had a special alloy composition we developed for it's age hardening characteristics gained by being pushed in hot glass during the forming of it. I have several Thatcher milk bottles now. An Italian copy of the original Dr. Thatcher milk bottle, and have collected glass ever since that first one. Before that I collected glass telephone insulators along the rail road track and have walked to pick wild asparagus, which grows great in railroad coal ashes. RED Matthews

RED that is an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I have to say I am touched by it. It's amazing what one little thing in your life can end being a pretty important part of it. That's what this hobby is all about I feel. Thank you again. :)

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
RED I have a question about Thatcher, does a list exist of how many bottles of certain dairys were produced. Say Hood's in Boston TRPQ for example from 1950, is there a number written down somewhere on how many of that specific bottle and style were produced? Just wondering...

helm40

Reaction score
I collect local milks.Portsmouth OH, Wheelersburg OH, Lucasville OH, Franklin Furnace OH, and Sciotoville OH. I found one small bottle from a local dairy in my small patch of woods a couple years ago. I started wondering how many dairies were here in Scioto County OH, which turned into a quest. So far we have identified close to 60 dairies or farms that bottled their own milk.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
helm40 said:
I collect local milks.Portsmouth OH, Wheelersburg OH, Lucasville OH, Franklin Furnace OH, and Sciotoville OH. I found one small bottle from a local dairy in my small patch of woods a couple years ago. I started wondering how many dairies were here in Scioto County OH, which turned into a quest. So far we have identified close to 60 dairies or farms that bottled their own milk.

Awesome. That's basically how mine is going, trying to figure how many were actually in my town. So far there 12 confirmed and 1 maybe. Not many, so the bottles from my town are rare. Good luck with the hunt!

IanDanaWaterville

Reaction score
Im always looking for milks from my hometown Waterville, NY. Waterville had a leading Hop industry for many years but after a mold affected the crop many of the old Hop farms turned into dairy farms. Im also looking for milks from Oriskany Falls, NY and Richfield Springs, NY because parts of my family have come from each town.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora