15th century bottle find near Lyon, France

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trinch

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could have some information regarding this bottle my parents found during some renovations in a house in Charly, France (just outside of Lyon). It was found between a double stone wall of a building that dates to the late 1400's. The bottle is 22cm in length and about 4 cm wide at the base. The glass itself is fairly thin (compared to modern bottles) and has a very fragile feel to it. If anyone has any information as to what this bottle is, what it may have been used for, how common they are, etc... I would greatly appreaciate it if you would share your knowledge. My best guess, based on the shape, is that it may have been used for olive oil. But then again, I have no basis in my guess.

Attachments

• 462ccc96931a4d54bdded5444e3f3564.jpg
    462ccc96931a4d54bdded5444e3f3564.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 75

coreya

Reaction score
I'd guess wine with one heck of a kickup to it. I know nothing about it but Nice piece of glass!

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Super bottle find!It seems too small to be a wine bottle. The big push up in the bottom would be to collect sediment from what ever was in there. I like your guess of olive oil. One could only guess why it was left in the wall. From what I have read over a long time, bottles and jars were used and reused many times. Maybe it was taken to the local merchant to be filled from a larger container. The clear aspect would allow you to see how much remained and when you were getting close to the sediment layer.I hope someone knows more. Scott

luckiest

Reaction score
I think that is an olive oil bottle as well. I have dug 1820's and 30s bottles that look quite a bit like it.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Trinch, Welcome to the A-BN and thanks for posting that lonely photo, and telling a bit of it's discovery. I'd like to see some more photos, please. Closeups of the base, and lip, and any outstanding crudities would be great. It is free blown. I'm skeptical on it being that old. [align=center]
6273477303_ae8e0543a1.jpg
[/align]

Oldmill

Reaction score
I agree with surfaceone I believe it is a much new piece of glass left behind in an old house. Anyway neat find always nice when things like that pop up.

KINGSQUAY

Reaction score
early to mid 19th century my guess, a lot of the french bottles of that period had large kick ups, looking at the glass and neck would also lean towards that date, as for contents it could well lend itself to being an salad oil type bottle, not really wide enough to be used for wine

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu