Great quart amber blob beer: P.B.B. Co. Western Branch Kansas City, Mo. with original bail

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stephengray

Reaction score
Hello, I was in a antique shop in Colorado a few days ago and found this blob beer mixed in with abm and screwtop bottles for sale. Embossed P.B.B. Co. Western Branch Kansas City, Mo. with a long skinny neck. It has the original bail and the base has a very deep kick-up for this type of bottle. It has some scratches but otherwise it is in good condition. I normally do not collect beers but as soon as I saw this one I had to have it. I hope I don't start collecting beers now.... Anyway, does anybody here have any info on this one, as to rarity or value? Does the P.B.B. Co. stand for Pabst Brewing? Thanks for looking. Stephen

Attachments

• 4bee4a77cad947e984d3628693cf72d2.jpg
    4bee4a77cad947e984d3628693cf72d2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 99

sandchip

Reaction score
Man, that's a danged good looking beer, Stephen. I woulda grabbed it too! Great score.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
I can help you, but it will cost you the bottle for the information! Nah, just drooling, ah dreaming. The PBB is Phillip Best Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Later known as Pabst Brewing Company. Lots of beer was shipped out of Kansas City from the 1870's until prohibition. As I recall Best opened the depot here in like 1880. I have a slightly newer example with a loop seal. Not making an offer to purchase, but if you ever decide to sell it, please contact me. If you come across another one, or any Kansas City beer bottle, let me know. The PBB's are probably a pretty scarce bottle and actually probably more commonly found in the west than in Kansas City. Scott

GEEMAN

Reaction score
Sometimes out of state branch breweries are listed in the two Wisconsin bottle books I have but I could not find this one when I looked at the Pabst bottles listed. That is a cool bottle you got there.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Hi Stephen, This beer is not what I would call rare, as one can find them with patience. Scott has given a good run down on its identity. Pabst (Best) had a long time presence in KC. Don't know the value as I don't collect this particular type of embossed beer, but would put it age at around 1890 give or take. It is nice that it still has it's lightning closure intact. Many of the KC beers had that kick up on the base. Here is an image for another KC beer with similar shape and base. HEIM'S BREWING CO.
heim01.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Love the form, that long neck isn't like any other I've seen in this size....

stephengray

Reaction score
ScottBSA said:
I can help you, but it will cost you the bottle for the information! Nah, just drooling, ah dreaming. The PBB is Phillip Best Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Later known as Pabst Brewing Company. Lots of beer was shipped out of Kansas City from the 1870's until prohibition. As I recall Best opened the depot here in like 1880. I have a slightly newer example with a loop seal. Not making an offer to purchase, but if you ever decide to sell it, please contact me. If you come across another one, or any Kansas City beer bottle, let me know. The PBB's are probably a pretty scarce bottle and actually probably more commonly found in the west than in Kansas City. Scott
Scott, thanks very much for your info. If I ever sell it I will contact you.Stephen

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado