broken umbrella ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Inkwell-Rare-Amethyst-Fluted-Umbrella-Ink-w-Ground-Lip-Crude-ca-1865-/370962207909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565f1214a5
$_14.JPG
$_3.JPG

Honest to god, do people actually believe this stuff? "Made to fit an inkwell"? You can see part of the neck that they weren't able to completely grid off while trying to hide the fact that the doggone thing is broken. Pity too. In that color, it'd be a decent money ink... Jim G

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've heard that story before and about everything else is pretty accurate.I'm just saying, not believing.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
I've heard that story before and about everything else is pretty accurate.I'm just saying, not believing.
I've seen them up for sale with the same claim before. But in this case you can see part of the base of the neck, and it has obvious damage (you can see evidence of the break) that was down too low to grind off. I've never been totally sold on any of them. Show me one with a finished partial neck, like this only NOT ground off, and we'll talk. Jim G

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
With no description that just shows that it may have been true. Whether ground and left alone or ground and fired off like that one it could be correct. Maybe both are wrong? The mold will still have ended somewhere and severed off somewhere. If you look at things like the J& IEM's they are long, short necks, ground, fired or just partially snapped, ground, fired or any combination.Maybe Mike will happen by with an opinion.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis