The question is - How many bottles were turned in the mold by turning the blowpipe?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
At the present time I have my first one in 76 years of collecting and studying the different methods of making glass bottles. This method didn't remove all the evidence of the mold seams, but almost. I can see where they were in two places for a couple inches. The turning of the blow pipe was done before the application of the finish, and it put twisted lines in the neck glass. I plan on taking this bottle to the C0rning Museum next summer for evaluation - but the havren't even answered my email to them, ye. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's a kind of thing I wonder about too.I would think they were spun while blowing to keep the glass moving and prevent it from sticking, therefor they were all done while attached to the pipe.[8|] Maybe the glass cooled too quickly and shrunk in those couple inches?My thinking makes sense in my head but doesn't transfer to words very well.[:D]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I guess I didn't spend enough time putting the question to everyone. I have my first bottle that has told me that the bottle blower actually turned the blowpipe at lease one and probably two or three times in the mold before the item was taken out of the closed mold. When it was removed then it had to have been held with a sticky ball punty (coated with graphite and possibly iron dust (which I doubt), and then removed from the blow pipe. Holding the bottle that way the blowpipe was cracked off; and a ball type ring of glass was placed around the neck and tooled neatly with only a little bit of sloppy glass under it. After that the bottle maker applied a handle to the bottom of the ball finish and shaped it down to the shoulder, where it was attached to the top radius of the shoulder, with the use of a double bar type of tool and the handle glass pulled end was bent back toward the neck and applied to the handle glass between those two bar marks.I am trying to get my camera working to send some pictures out. I am familiar with turned wine bottles - where the mold and bottom were turned, but this one was now done that way. The evidence of the two mold seams can be seen faintly for a couple places (about 2" long) on each side wall; and that is all. I have asked for help from the Corning Museum - but no reply yet.RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well last night I went through a box of bottles from the storage unit, and found another bottle that was turned by the blowpipe to remove the mold seams. It has the twisted lines in the neck under the applied finish. I am still looking in books for some information on how they turned the mold and bottom plate assembly. There wasn't a lot of early doing action explained in the early glass books on how they were made. I have seen some neat glass making on TV lately, last night it showed them making handled fruit dishes. That H2 TV has spoiled me with the prehistoric constructions and early civilizations. It keeps me away from this forum.
RED M.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I have decided that the pontil marks were done with a punty rod and after hot glass dipping - it was dipped in sand and applied in two of them. Not sticky ball though the sand held them and two of them have glass residue on the pontil areas. I haven't heard from anyone about the twisted neck glass from turning with the blowpipe - but I am sure it was done on two of them. RED Matthews

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Hey Red,I've wondered about these and after you mentioned on the other post about the mold seems I got thinking...don't hang up yet. Could they have been using an embossed/customers mold to blow out some cheap ones for the lable lickers. By adding slip and turning the bottle A glass house would have access to a lot more molds to keep them kids busy. I too have a few of the early crowns and blobs that were turned. Wonder what they might have said if they didn't. Just thought I'd throw it out... Don

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I got a neat email from Bill Lindsey regarding the turned bottles blown in pasted material painted in the plain round molds that would let the glass rotate without embossing or un-round designs. His work for the history of glass making is priceless in my opinion. When I started collecting old glass I found his works and used two or more reams of paper and a lot of printer ink - filling two three ring note books with his material. I know his work has done me a lot of useful learning over and above my years of actually working in the glass industry at Mold Manufacturing. In that department I was involved with the metallurgy, the machining, and all kinds of operations of mold making and life performance. After 15 yrs of that, I spent over twenty years traveling the worlds glass industry selling special alloy castings to improve the process of making glass products. Fantastic experiences and lots of Application Engineering.RED Matthews

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
After posting I went out and got a couple of the turned crowns and and cleaned them a little better. There was a faint mold seam so why would they bother making a two part mold if they didn't need to unless they were useing what they had on hand. If theres mold seams it'd be fun to find a "ghosted" name on one of those that we don't normaly look twice at... Don

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I am sorry to be so slow getting things put together. I now have five bottles that were turned in the mold. Two of them have sliding marks on the main side wall of the bottle that curls up as the bottle was lifted out of the mold. That gives me another mystery? How could that happen on a shoildered bottle? RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi